Trend Micro Releases “What to Know Before You Buy Guide” for Online Shoppers During Cyber Monday
November 26, 2012
CUPERTINO, Calif., Nov. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ –
WHAT: Trend Micro is releasing security best practices and tips for Cyber Monday shopping. WHO: 147 million mobile and online shoppers are expected to look for the cheapest deals and hot holiday gifts during the holiday shopping season, here's how they can stay safe. WHY: Online shopping sales are expected to rise 15-17 percent for this year's holiday season (Source: Deloitte, 2012), and cybercriminals are ready to act. Statistics show that since 2006, Trend Micro has seen that phishing is up 200 percent and there are now 10 million malware URLs threatening to steal information from unsuspecting shoppers. Consumers are clicking unverified links, signing up for email alerts, trolling social media sites and entering a slew of contests with no regard for phishing and security threats and online criminals are taking notice.
TOP FIVE TIPS FOR SAFE ONLINE SHOPPING
- Make sure your security software is up to date.
- The “S” in URLs that have HTTPS means SECURE!
- Beware of giving too much information. Websites never need your date-of-birth or social security number to complete a purchase.
- Ignore the hard-to-believe bargains and too-good-to-be-true freebies as they can often lead to exposure to Web threats.
- Avoid payment methods without buyer protection. It’s best to use a credit card versus debit card with online purchases.
LINKS: The full list of Top Ten Tips for Safe Online Shopping can be found here: http://www.trendmicrofamilysecurity.com/cyber_monday_tips.html
SOURCE Trend Micro
Source: PR Newswire