Quantcast

Judge Denies Apple Request For More Damages From Samsung

January 30, 2013
Image Credit: Photos.com

Michael Harper for redOrbit.com — Your Universe Online

Last night, Judge Lucy Koh, the U.S. District Judge overseeing the ongoing legal saga between Apple and Samsung, made a few new rulings that not only prevented a retrial, but also saved Samsung even more money.

Though the hearings part of the trial was conducted last August, the two companies have been trading appeals and making follow-up arguments ever since. These companies are also in the middle of gearing up for a second trial, set to begin in March, 2014.

During the August trial, Apple had argued Samsung “willfully” violated Apple patents. To prove this point, Apple´s legal team entered internal Samsung memos into evidence, within which Samsung executives compared their Galaxy phones to the iPhone, feature by feature.

According to The Verge, Judge Koh ruled last night Samsung had not infringed upon Apple´s patents willfully. This development overturns the decision made by the jury who ruled Samsung willfully violated 5 design and utility patents.

In her new ruling, Koh said Apple would have needed to prove there was an  “objectively high likelihood that its [Samsung's] actions constituted infringement of a valid patent.”

Samsung, on the other hand, argued Apple´s patents weren´t valid and therefore, there could have been no way for them to have been willfully infringed. Judge Koh likely found Samsung´s argument more appealing, turning over the jury´s ruling. In doing so, Judge Koh also struck down Apple´s request to take even more money from Samsung´s pockets for willfully infringing upon these patents. Though Samsung won´t be paying any extra on top of the $1.049 billion in damages, they won´t be paying any less, either. That is unless Koh steps in and reduces this amount, which The Verge says is entirely likely, though she´s not yet discussed any intentions to do so.

Additionally in Koh´s ruling last night, Samsung has been denied yet another request for a retrial. Previously, Samsung had asked Koh for a retrial, claiming the jury foreman was guilty of misconduct which could have altered the results of the trial. Koh denied this request last month.

When speaking about the $1 billion payment, Koh said this verdict was supported by the evidence, noting “the trial was fairly conducted, with uniform time limits and rules of evidence applied to both sides.”

Koh, not one to put up with any tomfoolery from these two companies, went on to say a new trial “would be contrary to the interests of justice.”

Though Koh has just struck down requests on both sides of this case, it´s likely her decisions will only be followed with more appeals and further decisions from her San Jose courtroom.

The next battle between these two companies (set to begin in 2014) stems from a February 2012 suit wherein Apple once again claimed Samsung had used their technology in the Galaxy line of phones. So far in this suit, Apple has tried to place a ban on any Samsung phone running Android 4.1. Samsung, in turn, has set out to ban the iPod Touch 5, iPad 4 and iPad Mini, as well as the iPhone 5.


Source: Michael Harper for redOrbit.com – Your Universe Online



comments powered by Disqus