Voip-Pal.Com Inc. Adds New Board Member
Colin Tucker, former Director and CEO of Hutchison 3G, to join Board
BELLEVUE, Wash, May 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Voip-Pal.Com Inc. (“Voip-Pal”, “Company”) (OTC Pink: VPLM) is pleased to announce that Dr. Colin Tucker, former Director and CEO of Hutchison 3G, has been appointed to the Board.
In addition to his role with Hutchison 3G, Dr. Tucker was one of the three founding directors of Orange plc, a company that was brought from a startup company in 1991 with a handful of staff to an enterprise with revenues of £3bn p.a. operating in 6 countries by 2000. Orange plc was ultimately sold to France Telecom for $25bn.
Dr. Tucker is currently serving as Director of four companies – Montise plc (a leading provider of systems to the mobile money market with customers in UK, US, Europe, India, China, Australia, Indonesia and South America), Jersey Telecom Ltd. (a full service Telco based in Jersey but operating in Jersey, Guernsey, UK and the US), Zamano plc (a company based in Dublin operating in the Mobile and Web marketing space having developed itself from a simple retailer of mobile content) and SAT Ltd (Dr Tucker is the current Chairman of SAT which is a startup company exploiting novel antenna technology from Birmingham University).
Dr. Tucker has previously served as Director of five other companies. From 2008 to 2009, Dr. Tucker was the Chairman of UIQ Technology Ltd, the sole developer of the user interface to the Nokia mobile phone operating system. The products were used by Nokia, Motorola and Sony Ericcson. From 2003 to 2007, Dr. Tucker was Director of Morse Group plc, a distributor of products from IBM, CISCO, and other major IT suppliers also offering IT consultancy and operational support. From 2007 to 2011, Dr. Tucker served as Director of Digifonica Inc. Ltd (see About Digifonica below). From 2007 to 2009, Dr. Tucker served as Director of Sarantel Ltd, a company which developed and manufactured a range of highly directional antennas for mobile handsets which ensured reduced SAR into the users head. From 1999 to 2007, Dr. Tucker was a Director of TTP Com Ltd, a company that provided the code for GSM, 3G and 4G mobile handset chipsets. TTP COM Ltd was sold to Motorola.
Dr. Tucker studied Electrical Engineering at Manchester University completing his studies with a Doctorate following research into the optimum techniques for interfacing humans with computer driven displays.
“Colin has had an extraordinary professional career in engineering, management and design for high tech companies,” states Dennis Chang, President of Voip-Pal, “but equally impressive is his current work as Angel investor and chairman of various technology spin out companies coming out of the universities of Edinburgh and Birmingham. Because of his expertise and leadership role in the telecommunications industry, Colin is a perfect fit for our company. With the recent Board appointment of Dr. Thomas Sawyer and Dr. Colin Tucker, our company is now poised to become a leader in the VoIP industry.”
About Voip-Pal/Digifonica Patent Applications
1. Lawful Intercept: (“Intercepting VoIP communications and other data communications”) US Patent Application, Publication No. 20100150138, (Link to Lawful Intercept USPTO filing): This patent was issued on April 16, 2013 with the number 8,422,507. Lawful Intercept Continuation patent application was filed with the USPTO. This Continuation leverages patented technology for instant and text messages, and inherits the same Priority date of November 29, 2007. A Response in Europe will be filed in 2 weeks. Lawful Intercept is a revolutionary technology that addresses the national and international demands by governments to enable law agencies the ability to perform scheduled and live intercepts on VoIP telephone conversations. Network Service providers such as Skype may soon want to be in compliance with government regulations regarding Lawful Intercept. The advantage of this patent is that it is truly undetectable by the intercept target; as opposed to many prior art technologies. Various governments are considering legislating Lawful Intercept as a mandatory technology for any VoIP provider.
2. Routing, Billing and Rating engine (RBR): (“Producing routing messages for VoIP communications”) US Patent Application, Publication No. 20100150328, (Link to RBR USPTO filing): A Response to USPTO office action will be filed in 2 weeks. A Response in Europe has already been filed. The Company believes that this patent application technology will be the foundation of any modern commercial VoIP system. It has taken millions of investment dollars and years to develop and solidify into perhaps the most important architectural solution for VoIP.
3. Mobile Gateway: US Patent Application, Publication No. 20110122827, (Link to Mobile Gateway USPTO filing): USPTO office action has been received and a Response is currently being prepared to be filed. The Company believes that Mobile Gateway technology can be applied to any modern cell phone allowing Internet calls to be transparent for the users. All current commercial techniques for making cell phone Internet calls require the users to make additional actions, which are not necessary with the Mobile Gateway patent application.
4. Enhanced 911: (“Emergency Assistance calling for VoIP communications”) US Patent Application, Publication No. 20100172345, (Link to Enhanced 911 USPTO filing): A Response to USPTO office action has been filed. This patent application technology satisfies the major requirement for emergency response system which is the ability to call back the person on emergency if he drops the call.
5. Advanced Interoperability Solutions: (“Uninterrupted Transmission of Internet Protocol Transmissions during Endpoint Changes”) US Patent Application, Publication No. 20120170574, (Link to Advanced Interoperability Solutions USPTO filing): Currently under USPTO prosecution. This patent application technology demonstrates the future of Internet voice communication – calls should not be dropped when roaming from one transport provider to another.
About Digifonica (International) Limited
Digifonica (International) Limited (“Digifonica”) was originally incorporated as Digifonica International Inc. in 2004 and listed on the TSX stock exchange. The company raised more than $15M of investments into research and development of the most advanced VoIP technologies. It employed approximately 20 developers, some of them being well-known in VoIP industry, who built an integrated white-labelled VoIP system, which can be deployed for new Internet Telephony providers in matter of minutes. The goal was two-fold:
- Provide scalable and the most cost-effective solution for partners, when prices for Internet calls go down to zero
- Comply with government regulations of Internet communications against illegal activities
Soon after the first production-grade system was released for partners, it became clear that architectural solutions developed and operated by Digifonica, were highly advanced in the industry and required protection. Digifonica decided to dedicate sufficient resources, both human and financial, to work with the top Canadian firm practising in intellectual property – Smart & Biggar. That cooperation produced the results: Digifonica filed overall 5 patent applications, starting from 2007. The Patent Applications were all filed initially as PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty) applications, came through International phase, then entered National phases in many countries around the world, first of all in US Canada and Europe. They are all in different stages of prosecution.
About Voip-Pal.Com Inc.
Voip-Pal.Com Inc. is a broadband VoIP telecom company offering local and long distance VoIP services to residential and business customers. The company also provides VoIP communication and reseller solutions for its partners. Voip-Pal.Com Inc. is the enabler of international calls using VoIP technology on the internet, smartphones and PC Tablets. Voip-Pal’s goal is to provide a quality, high-speed and cost-effective telephone solution for the casual and business international traveler who must rely on their smartphones, laptops or tablets in order to communicate. Voip-Pal.Com/Digifonica is a technical leader in the VoIP services market which had revenues of $58 Billion in 2011 and is experiencing double digit year-over-year growth. The addition of Digifonica’s Patent Pending Application portfolio greatly enhances shareholder value and will contribute to significant revenue growth for Voip-Pal.Com.
Retail Website: www.platinumphone.com.
Corporate Website: www.voip-pal.com
Company Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
IR inquiries: IR@voip-pal.com
US Telephone IR Contact: (954) 495-4600
Stock Quote: www.otcmarkets.com/stock/VPLM/quote
All statements contained in this news release, other than those identifying historical facts, constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the Safe Harbor provisions as contained in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements relating to the Company’s future expectations, including but not limited to revenues and earnings, technology efficacy, strategies and plans, are subject to safe harbors protection. Actual Company results and performance may be materially different from any future results, performance, strategies, plans, or achievements that may be expressed or implied by any such forward-looking statements. The Company disclaims any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements.
SOURCE Voip-Pal.Com Inc.