GigaOM Joins Forces with Facebook and Open Compute Project for Hardware Hackathon
Hackathon winners to present on stage at Structure 2013.
San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) May 22, 2013
GigaOM is teaming up with Facebook to support the Open Compute Project´s second annual hardware hackathon on June 18. Winners will present their projects on stage to more than 500 technologists, journalists and investors at GigaOM´s Structure conference on June 19. Now in its sixth year, Structure is GigaOM´s flagship event focused on the future of cloud computing and internet infrastructure.
Limited to 100 participants, hackers will be vying for $10,000 in seed funding, mentoring from the Open Compute Project foundation, and the opportunity to pitch to venture capitalists and angel investors. Projects will judged on the completeness of the design, its applicability to scaled-out computing, and the probability of the hack attracting funding.
“Software may be eating the world, but in the last two years the shifts in computing have also led to shifts in the machines doing the actual computing,” said Stacey Higginbotham, senior writer for GigaOM and chair of Structure 2013. “As this market opens up, there is an opportunity for startups and new ideas to infiltrate the multibillion data center hardware industry now controlled by giants. We’re supporting this hackathon and bringing it to Structure so our audience has the chance to meet the world’s next Michael Dell or David Packard.”
Other topics and speakers to be featured at Structure include:
- What´s keeping your CEO up at night — Ralph Loura, The Clorox Company, and Ben Haines, Pabst Brewing Company
- Behind Google´s evolutionary leaps — Jeff Dean, Google
- Keeping a billion users happy — Jay Parikh, Facebook
- How infrastructure can transform business success — David Giambruno, Revlon, and Cynthia Stoddard, NetApp
- Is the future software-defined everything? — Pat Gelsinger, VMware
- The CEO, the investor and the future — Aneel Bhusri, Workday
- AWS: Amazon´s winning strategy — Werner Vogels, Amazon
- Metamorphosis: Everything must go first — Kevin Scott, LinkedIn
- The economics of scaling — Bobby Murphy, Snapchat
See the full speaker and session lineup here.
All Structure attendees will receive a complimentary GigaOM Research Sector RoadMap report that explores the major trends disrupting the software-defined network market and six key vendors impacting the space. Other highlights include:
- 40 sessions and 16 workshops on topics such as next-generation trends in software-defined networks and storage, distributed data centers, and implementation strategies to match real-time business needs
- More than 65 sponsors and exhibitors, including 20 startups.
- LaunchPad startup competition.
- Introduction of Cloud Catalysts — 10 up and comers who are rethinking infrastructure for the next generation of computing.
- Mapping session led by GigaOM Research, focused on the next 12-18 months of the cloud.
- Inside look at annual cloud buyers survey conducted by GigaOM Research and Northbridge Partners.
Discounted supersaver tickets are available through May 24. Follow @GigaOM on Twitter (#structureconf) to stay up to date as new speakers and sessions are announced.
Some of the most influential companies in cloud computing have already lined up to sponsor Structure, including headline sponsor Intel. Sponsorships are expected to sell out. Contact Mike Sly at eventsales(at)gigaom(dot)com or (415) 235-0358 to join primetime sponsors AMD, Aspera, Basho, BTI, Citrix, DataDirect Networks, Dell, HGST, HP Cloud Services, IBM, Juniper Networks, Kontron, New Relic, Nuage Networks, OpenStack, Plex Systems, SAP, ServiceMesh, SnapLogic, SOA Software, SoftLayer, Verizon Terremark, Virtustream, Windows Azure, and WSO2.
Founded in 2006, GigaOM is the leading global source of analysis on emerging technologies. Our news, research and events provide deep insight on the companies, people and trends disrupting technology and media.
About GigaOM Events
GigaOM events bring the people and companies driving disruptive technologies to the stage. Through a combination of strong editorial content and face time with technology innovators, GigaOM events give attendees the tools they need to capitalize on emerging trends.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2013/5/prweb10759127.htm