TeleCommunication Systems Makes Broadened SMS9-1-1 Capabilities Available to Public Safety Access Points
Award-Winning GEM9-1-1 Provides ATIS JSMS9-1-1 Compliant Next Generation Emergency Communication Features Today
ANNAPOLIS, Md., June 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology, today announced that GEM9-1-1(TM) provides a solution compliant with J-STD-110 Joint ATIS/TIA Native SMS to 9-1-1 Requirements & Architecture Specification for public safety access points (PSAPs) seeking to transition to a Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1) infrastructure that supports text, pictures and video.
- On May 17, 2013, the Federal Communications Commission mandated the implementation of an automatic “bounce back” text messaging solution by September 30,( )2013. The mandate applies to wireless carriers and Over-The-Top (OTT) messaging providers that are able to send messages to substantially all text-capable devices.
- The top four carriers, supporting almost 90 percent of all wireless subscribers in the United States, have indicated their plans to support, before the close of 2014, the ability to deliver SMS messages to any PSAP that has indicated its ability to receive such messages.
- TCS has worked with ATIS, the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions, in collaboration with TIA, the Telecommunications Industry Association, to develop and publish a new standard outlining the requirements, architecture and procedures for text messaging to 9-1-1 emergency services using native wireless operator SMS capabilities for the existing generation and NG9-1-1 PSAPs.
- This industry-accepted standard positions carriers to have a fully operational text to 9-1-1 solution capable of delivering SMS text messages to any PSAP in the U.S., including legacy (TDM) PSAPs, IP-transitioning PSAPs and NG9-1-1 PSAPs that are NENA i3 compliant.
- GEM9-1-1 is an ideal solution for PSAPs who have or intend to add an IP infrastructure and would like to utilize an easy-to-deploy, streamlined solution with minimal training.
- Compared to legacy systems like teletypewriter (TTY) that are limited in feature scope, GEM9-1-1 integrates with existing equipment quickly and easily.
- GEM9-1-1 is designed to easily integrate into i3 NG9-1-1 environments.
- GEM9-1-1 has been successfully deployed for early adopter PSAPs, including York County, Virginia and Frederick County, Maryland.
- GEM9-1-1 has recently been recognized by Network Products Guide as a Gold winner of the 8(th) Annual 2013 Hot Companies and Best Products Awards in the IT Products and Services for Government category.
TCS Safety & Security Group Senior Vice President and General Manager Chris Nabinger said: “In a five-month period, we estimate more than 70,000 text messages were sent to 9-1-1; however, very few of these ‘silent calls for help’ were delivered to an emergency response center. With trillions of text messages being sent by millions of Americans, it is critical that we continue our efforts to open up communication with public safety answering points via text. As a trusted leader in secure communications, TCS is dedicated to providing the industry’s most robust, reliable and easy-to-deploy SMS9-1-1 solution across the nation.”
- TCS GEM9-1-1: http://goo.gl/blzl9
- TCS Smart911: http://goo.gl/uiCPJ
- White Paper: TCS thought leadership on Text to 9-1-1: A PSAP Perspective: http://goo.gl/sVy0s
- Press Release: TeleCommunication Systems Announces Support for FCC, Carriers’ Commitment to Implement Text to 9-1-1 Technology Nationwide – http://goo.gl/vI2gc
- Press Release: TeleCommunication Systems Launches First National End-to-End Suite of Next Generation 9-1-1 Emergency Communication Solutions – http://goo.gl/NKmFp
- Press Release: TeleCommunication Systems Supports ATIS/TIA Interim Text to 9-1-1 Solution for Emergency Text Communication – http://goo.gl/LlunY
- Video: TCS CTO Drew Morin discusses Frederick County, Maryland SMS9-1-1 deployment – http://goo.gl/LtSVL
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS) is a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology. TCS infrastructure forms the foundation for market leading solutions in E9-1-1, text messaging, commercial location and deployable wireless communications. TCS is at the forefront of new mobile cloud computing services providing wireless applications for navigation, hyper-local search, asset tracking, social applications and telematics. Millions of consumers around the world use TCS wireless apps as a fundamental part of their daily lives. Government agencies utilize TCS’ cyber security expertise, professional services, and highly secure deployable satellite solutions for mission-critical communications. Headquartered in Annapolis, MD, TCS maintains technical, service and sales offices around the world. To learn more about emerging and innovative wireless technologies, visit www.telecomsys.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TCS’ current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include those detailed from time to time in the Company’s SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012, and on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2013.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
TCS Contact: Media Contact: Investor Relations: TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. Nadel Phelan, Inc. Liolios Group, Inc. Meredith Allen Graham Sorkin Scott Liolios 410-295-1865 831-440-2406 949-574-3860 Mallen@telecomsys.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.