More Than 3,000 Moms Will Breastfeed in Public For TheBump.com Second Annual Public Display of Breastfeeding Day
– Events in New York City, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago and Denver Will Host Public Breastfeeding Meet Ups on August 15 –
NEW YORK, Aug. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — This year alone, 22,240 women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer, 2,500 infants will die from SIDS and obesity remains at an all-time high among children and adolescents–almost tripling since 1980. One possible free and natural solution: Breastfeeding. Breastfeeding has been proven to reduce the risk of developing these health issues in both moms and babies, while also burning an average of 500 calories per day for mom and saving more than $400 per year. The benefits are undeniable, but the amount of encouragement for breastfeeding is still lacking and many moms continue to feel uncomfortable feeding their baby in public.
In support of National Breastfeeding Awareness Month in August, and to fight the stigma against breastfeeding in public, TheBump.com, the fastest-growing pregnancy and parenting website, announced today the second annual “Public Display of Breastfeeding” (PDB) campaign exclusively sponsored by The Boppy Company.
More than 3,000 moms on TheBump.com have already promised to breastfeed outside the privacy of their own homes on August 15, 2013, the official “Public Display of Breastfeeding Day”–and the number continues to grow. Moms are posting their pride on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #PDB and are also encouraging fellow moms to join the boob-olution.
To make it even easier for moms to nurse in public on August 15, TheBump.com has partnered with local retailers in New York City, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago and Denver to provide a place for moms to gather and breastfeed. Moms in these cities are encouraged to stop by the following local events to meet other moms and show their breastfeeding pride:
1201 Lexington Avenue (between 81(st) and 82(nd) streets)
New York, NY 10028
A Mother’s Haven Boutique & Educational Center
15928 Ventura Blvd, Suite 116
Encino, CA 91436
The Prudential Center
776 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
Urba Baby Wicker Park
1751 W. Division Street
Chicago, IL 60622
3000 East Third Avenue, Unit 15
Denver, CO 80206
The first 30 moms to arrive at each PDB local event will receive a gift bag full of must-haves from Boon, Boppy, BabyLegs, Earth’s Best, pediped, Kanga Care and more.
“There’s an enormous amount of stigma associated not only with breastfeeding in general, but breastfeeding in public–so much in fact that when we polled our moms on TheBump.com, 1 in 7 admitted that public breastfeeding makes them uncomfortable,” says Rebecca Dolgin, editor in chief of TheBump.com. “To help end the shame and raise awareness for the proven benefits of breastfeeding, we created our Public Display of Breastfeeding campaign so moms across the country can feel an outpouring of support and empowerment to breastfeed anytime, anywhere.”
In addition to TheBump.com Public Display of Breastfeeding campaign, the site offers breastfeeding resources, online events and information at TheBump.com/breastfeeding, including:
- Ta-ta Tuesdays With Lactation Consultants: Ta-tas, boobies, knockers–we know you’ve got questions about them and breastfeeding. Good news: We’ve got answers! Each Tuesday in August, moms can chat free with a lactation consultant from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. ET about all their breastfeeding questions and concerns. Each participant will be entered for a chance to win a Baby K’tan nursing cover, Bravado nursing bra and swag from aden + anais, Medela and Colief. Here’s TheBump.com “Ta-ta Tuesday” lineup:
- August 6: Getting Prepped for Breastfeeding
- August 13: Latches and Positioning
- August 20: Breastfeeding a Newborn and Older Baby
- August 27: Breastfeeding Problem
- Celebrity Mom Breastfeeding Stories: Celebs breastfeed their babies and are proud of it too! Alyssa Milano, Tia and Tamera Mowry, Tracy Anderson, Ali Landry and Melissa Joan Hart are among the celebrity profiles featured on TheBump.com/PDB with real breastfeeding stories and star-studded mama advice.
- More Than 3,000 Breastfeeding Articles: To help moms answer all the questions running through their minds, TheBump.com has compiled more than 3,000 breastfeeding articles, along with lists of the top 10 breastfeeding benefits and the hilarious places moms have breastfed.
- Informative Breastfeeding Videos: Sometimes you just need a visual! TheBump.com offers a variety of informative how-to breastfeeding videos, including Tips for Breastfeeding in Public, Breast Milk Storage 101, Increasing Your Breast Milk Supply and Is Baby Eating Enough During Breastfeeding?
- Largest Breastfeeding Online Community: TheBump.com has one of the largest online communities of breastfeeding moms, who share tips, personal advice and support on the topic, 24/7.
- Social Support: Moms who show their breastfeeding in public support by tweeting @thebump with the hashtag #PDB between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET on August 15 will be entered for a chance to win big. One lucky mom will win a huge gift bag filled with breastfeeding essentials including a Medela Pump In Style Advanced breast pump and a variety of swag from Boppy, such as a nursing pillow, travel pillow, nursing cover, slipcovers and more.
The Bump is the only multiplatform resource giving first-time moms the inside scoop on fertility, pregnancy and new mommyhood, reaching millions of moms each year through TheBump.com and The Bump local guide. The Bump editorial team, “born” on The Knot, provides new moms stage-by-stage advice, stylish ideas, local resources, interactive tools and a savvy online community whose members are obsessed with knowing about everything baby. The Bump is a part of XO Group Inc. (NYSE: XOXO), a global media and technology leader devoted to weddings, pregnancy and everything in between. Follow The Bump on Twitter @thebump.
Public Relations Manager