Regional Workshops Scheduled for Startup Challenge
Application and networking workshops are scheduled throughout the region in February
Seaside, CA (PRWEB) January 29, 2014
The organizers of the Startup Challenge, a competition for new ventures to be held May 2nd at the Monterey Institute of International Studies, (http://www.thestartupchallenge.org) today announced a series of workshops to help entrepreneurs successfully complete the application that is due March 10.
"This is the fifth year of the event and we continue to create great opportunities for entrepreneurs to network, add structure, and receive help in developing their business ideas into successful businesses,” said Dr. Brad Barbeau, CSUMB School of Business Professor and this year’s Chair of the Startup Challenge, “We continue to get higher quality applications, and more competitive companies applying. We want to make sure everyone understands how to complete the one page entry form and knows how to win the Startup Challenge.”
All start-ups that can show how they will create jobs in the tri-county area are welcome to apply. One-page entries are due March 10, and semifinalists will be chosen from the Business Pitch event held March 28th at California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB). The semifinalist companies will be asked to complete a full business plan, which they will present to panels of investors, industry leaders and business consultants at the May 2nd event.
Prizes range from $5,000 cash for the winning student team, to $10,000 cash for the winning main-street company, to $50,000 in cash and professional services for the winning venture-play company. Information about the Challenge is available at http://www.thestartupchallenge.org, along with the instructions and entry forms.
Upcoming regional workshops include:
- Tuesday, February 4 from 6:00- 8:00 p.m. Location: SBDC Salinas, 106 Lincoln Avenue, Salinas, 93901
- Wednesday, February 5 at 6:30 -8:00 p.m. Location: Monterey Peninsula College, Sam Karas Room in the Monterey Peninsula College library. 980 Fremont St. Monterey, 93940
- Tuesday, February 11 at 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. Location: NextSpace, 101 Cooper St., Santa Cruz, 95060
- Tuesday, February 18 at 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. Location: Cruzioworks, 877 Cedar St., Santa Cruz, 95060
- Tuesday, February 18 at 6:30 -8:00 p.m. Location: Monterey Peninsula College, Sam Karas Room in the Monterey Peninsula College library. 980 Fremont St. Monterey, 93940
- Thursday, February 20, from 6:00-8:00 pm. Location: SBDC Salinas, 106 Lincoln Avenue, Salinas, 93901
To register for any of the free workshops, please call 831-831-582-3230.
The Startup Challenge has the support of more than 50 business, education and government partners from the entire tri-county region that are united to showcase the business potential of the area; support regional start-ups; attract business and investors to the region; encourage business students to become entrepreneurs; and promote tech transfer, innovation and commercialization.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/prweb11533215.htm