Oracle Announces General Availability of Oracle(R) Communications Converged Application Server 4.0
PRAGUE, Czech Republic, Sept. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — SDP Global Summit
* To enable network operators, network equipment providers (NEP), systems integrators and independent software vendors (ISVs) to develop, deliver and operate real-time, multimedia communications services, Oracle announced today the availability of Oracle(R) Communications Converged Application Server 4.0 (formerly named BEA WebLogic SIP Server).
* As a key component of the recently unveiled Oracle Communications Service Delivery product portfolio (see related announcement (http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/2008_jul/OCSD.html)), Oracle Communications Converged Application Server is a converged Web/communications application development and deployment platform, that combines Internet and communications capabilities with the carrier-grade high availability, performance, scalability and reliability necessary to deliver a powerful service creation and execution environment for next-generation service delivery platforms (SDPs).
* Consistent with Oracle’s strategy of providing open, standards-based, carrier-grade software, Oracle has led the Java industry’s development of the latest Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Servlet 1.1 specification, Java Specification Request (JSR) 289, through the Java Community Process (JCP). JSR 289 introduces a new application router that enables application developers to more quickly create innovative services that converge familiar Web-based, real-time communications applications into specific, end-user services, spanning existing business and operations support systems (BSS/OSS). Oracle Communications Converged Application Server is the first commercial SIP/IP-Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) application compliant with the JSR 289 standard.
Availability and Details
* In new, converged and IP-based services, high availability is critical for service providers to increase service adoption and customer satisfaction. Oracle Communications Converged Application Server provides high levels of availability and reliability through clustering, replication and geographic redundancy. This enables service providers to eliminate single points of failure, in case of catastrophic failures in one or more nodes in their telecommunications networks.
* Oracle Communications Converged Application Server delivers an integrated, converged application platform with support for SIP Servlet (JSR 289), Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE 5), service-oriented architecture (SOA), Web services and IMS standards.
* The ease of development offered by these standards, combined with the real-time performance, scalability and reliability needed for large-scale next-generation network (NGN) and IMS deployments, enables developers and service provider partners to design, develop and deploy new services extremely rapidly and cost-effectively.
* Further, Oracle Communications Converged Application Server leverages real-time Java Virtual Machine (JVM) in Oracle JRockit, and real-time subscriber data management in Oracle Coherence, to deliver the extremely low latency and high performance necessary for advanced, real-time and converged services such as Voice over IP (VoIP) communications or IMS-enabled Web 2.0 applications featuring presence, instant messaging, location and multimedia conferencing capabilities.
* Oracle Communications Converged Application Server also features a comprehensive, Eclipse platform- and Java-based service creation environment that greatly accelerates time-to-market for new services. In addition, Oracle Communications Converged Application Server provides advanced operation, administration and management tools that help streamline and optimize network operations and lower the total cost of service creation and increase profitability.
* By accelerating the creation and deployment of new, innovative services, Oracle Communications Converged Application Server will help service providers increase return on investment from their NGN investments, improve customer satisfaction and subsequently increase customer retention.
* “As network operators worldwide deploy next-generation architectures, it has become increasingly important to quickly generate new revenue from these network investments. Oracle Communications Converged Application Server delivers the IT and telecommunications tools necessary for deploying new services quickly and cost-effectively. This release is also a key milestone in our strategy to deliver a world-class portfolio of service delivery products to the communications industry,” said Liam Maxwell, vice president of products, Oracle Communications.
* “The trend to converged multimedia services has set in motion a transformation, with the common denominator being open, Internet-based technologies as the underlying foundation. Using Oracle Communications Converged Application Server, mobilkom austria group is uniquely positioned to foster innovation in the emerging IMS market, thereby unleashing new revenue streams and improving our customer loyalty by providing a market-leading set of convergent, multimedia services,” said Rainer Huber, senior service architect, mobilkom austria. (See related announcement (http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/017432_EN.doc).)
* “Operators are increasingly looking at Web/telecommunications convergence as a potential source for new and innovative next-generation services. One effective approach to bringing the telecommunications and Web worlds together is to converge at the IMS services layer, using an open, standards-based Java EE and IMS application server. Deploying a highly available, standards-based application server with a converged container better positions operators to leverage the promising combined market dynamics of Web 2.0 and telecommunications,” said Brian Partridge, director of Yankee Group’s Enabling Technologies Service Provider group.
Oracle Communications (http://www.oracle.com/industries/communications/index.html)
Oracle Communications Service Delivery (http://tinyurl.com/oracle-ocsd) Oracle Communications Converged Application Server Oracle Communications Converged Application Server Data Sheet White Paper & Report
Oracle SDP – Enablers and Future Proofing your Investment (http://tinyurl.com/oracle-enablers)
The Moriana Group Report: Oracle: Changing the Landscape of Telecom Service Delivery (http://www.morianagroup.com/)
Podcast Oracle Fusion Middleware Radio (http://tinyurl.com/oracle-OFM-radio) About Oracle Communications
Oracle is #1 in Communications globally with 20 of the world’s top 20 communications companies running Oracle applications. Oracle Communications integrates industry-specific BSS and OSS solutions with a standards-based service delivery portfolio, as well as the capabilities of Oracle’s industry- leading enterprise applications, business intelligence tools, and carrier- grade middleware and database technologies. Oracle Communications enables service providers to deliver next generation convergent services rapidly, increase customer satisfaction and loyalty, and reduce costs in the business and the network. For more information, visit http://www.oracle.com/Communications.
Oracle is the world’s largest enterprise software company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com/.
Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Photo: NewsCom: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020718/ORCLLOGOAP Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org/PRN Photo Desk, email@example.com
CONTACT: Caroline Yu of Oracle, +1-650-506-8920, firstname.lastname@example.org;or Janice Hazen of O’Keeffe & Company, +1-770-938-4753, email@example.com, forOracle
Web site: http://www.oracle.com/