September 18, 2008
Explosions Near Japanese Imperial Palace; No Damages
Text of report in English by Japan's largest news agency Kyodo
Tokyo, 18 September: Several explosions were detected early Thursday [18 September] on a Tokyo street near the Imperial Palace, and police immediately placed a man, who was around the site, under custody for questioning, they said.The 34-year-old former Self-Defence Forces official was quoted as telling them that he tried to set off explosive devices aimed at the Imperial Palace "in order to create a sensation."
The police have collected two metal tubes and three extinguishers in and around the moat of the Imperial Palace, while they are examining a truck, which is believed to be the man's and was loaded with sandbags that are suspected to have been used as a launch pad, they said.
No damages have been reported so far since the explosions occurred at around 2:40 a.m. [17:40 gmt 17 September], the police said.
They said they are questioning the man over the explosion and will arrest him later.
Originally published by Kyodo News Service, Tokyo, in English 0150 18 Sep 08.
(c) 2008 BBC Monitoring Newsfile. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.