October 10, 2008
iPod Touch Wins T3’s Gadget Of The Year Award
Apple was the big winner at Britain's T3 technology magazine's annual awards, winning four top prizes, including gadget of the year for its iPod Touch.
The iPod touch bested the Asus Eee Pc budget laptop, TomTom's GO 920 car navigation system, Sony's HDR-TG3 compact camcorder and six other devices.Apple has nailed the mix of style and usability with its latest crop of gadgets, said T3 Editor Michael Brook.
"The iPod wasn't the first MP3 player, but it was, and is, by far the best," he said. "The iPhone clearly wasn't the first smartphone, but it was the first one that every man, his dog and his dog's ticks would sell limbs to own."
Apple took home three other awards, including best commuter gadget (iPhone); best music gadget (iPod Touch 32GB) and a prize given by the magazine's blog, Gadget Candy (MacBook Air).
"Cold Feet" actor James Nesbitt hosted the magazine's second annual awards ceremony held Thursday evening in Park Lane, central London.
Readers cast over 54,000 votes to pick the 11 prizes, including the gadget of the year award. The others were chosen by T3. Details are on their website, www.t3.com/.
The winners were:
- Gadget of the year: Apple iPod Touch
- Best music gadget: Apple iPod Touch 32GB
- Best imaging gadget: Nikon D60
- Drop dead gorgeous: Audi R8
- Best new media: BBC iPlayer
- Gaming gadget: Nintendo's Wii Fit
- Toy of the year: Guitar Hero, music video game
- Commuter gadget: Apple iPhone
- Gadget Candy: Apple MacBook Air
- Retailer of the year: Dixons.co.uk
- Innovation of the year: Sony XEL-1 OLED television
- Green gadget: Honda Civic Hybrid
- Hi Def award: Sony PlayStation 3
- Home gadget: Sky+ HD, digital television
- Gadget you can't live without: TomTom GO 930