Study by Leading Security Experts of Intrepidus Group Reveals One Quarter of Worldwide Population at Risk of Spear Phishing Attacks
Key Findings Unveil Significant Risks of Cyber Attacks Placing Enterprises’ Data at Tremendous Risk
Key findings of the study include:
- 23% of people worldwide are vulnerable to targeted/spear phishing attacks.
- Phishing attacks that use an authoritative tone are 40% more successful than those that attempt to lure people through reward-giving.
- Men and women are both equally susceptible to phishing.
- On an average 60% of corporate employees that were found susceptible to targeted spear phishing responded to the phishing emails within three hours of receiving them.
- People are less cautious when clicking on active links in emails than when they are requested for sensitive data.
“Our research shows that nearly a quarter of the worldwide corporate workforce is vulnerable to spear phishing attacks-despite the fact they received conventional user awareness training,” said Rohyt Belani, leading security expert and CEO of Intrepidus Group. “When you consider organizations that have thousands of employees, each susceptible person that works for that organization can put their corporate data at significant risk. Every organization needs to educate their employees on how to identify and thwart attacks before they fall victim to these increasingly more aggressive cyber crime schemes.”
Detailed results of the new study will be unveiled by Intrepidus Group CEO, Rohyt Belani in his session, “Why Phishing Schemes Work and How to Thwart Them,” during InfoSec World Conference and Expo 2009, Disney Coronado Resort,
PhishMe is a software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution designed to help prevent damage, theft and loss caused by targeted (spear) phishing attacks. PhishMe facilitates and automates the execution of mock phishing exercises against employees, provides clear and accurate reporting on user behavior, and most importantly provides instant, targeted employee training. This method of delivering training materials is recommended by SANS and found to be most effective by researchers at
Intrepidus Group is a leading provider of information security consulting services and software solutions. With offices in
Intrepidus and PhishMe.com are trademarks of Intrepidus Group. All other product and company names herein are or may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE Intrepidus Group