National Semiconductor to Demonstrate Energy-Saving Professional and Broadcast Video Products at NAB 2009
What: National demonstrates energy-saving, system PowerWise(R) solutions at NAB
Where: Booth SU2804 at
National Broadcast Video Demonstrations — Booth SU2804
- PowerWise 3G-SDI Equalizer: National will demonstrate the advanced features of the industry’s most energy-efficient SDI equalizer (EQ) via a serial peripheral interface (SPI) control bus accessing the chip’s registers. Product features include an auto-sleep mode that delivers 85 percent power consumption savings, wider input amplitude range down to 400 mV, low-power LVDS driver with adjustable output amplitude, cable length indicator to detect the amount of cable at the input and settable output common-mode voltages for DC coupling to downstream blocks. The EQ offers two modes of operation: in pin-mode, the EQ is backward-compatible with existing solutions, while the register-mode offers access to a suite of advanced features to optimize energy-efficiency, detect operating parameters and customize performance.
- PowerWise Distribution Amplifier (DA): Demonstration of industry-leading jitter performance across multiple cable lengths using a waveform monitor and jitter analyzer. National’s DA extends the reach of incoming signals up to 140m at 3G rates, 200m at high-definition (HD) rates and 400m at standard-definition (SD) rates to optimize connectivity of broadcast studio equipment. The DA consists of National’s new 3G-SDI adaptive cable EQ, LMH0356 reclocker and LMH0303 cable driver. In the event of cable detachment or loss of signal at the DA’s input or output, the system automatically enters a deep power-save mode, enabling a 90 percent savings in power consumption.
- 3G-SDI Up-Converter: Demonstration of a high-performance SD-SDI to 3G-SDI up-converter that showcases scaling with a low-cost FPGA. The demo uses a video daughter card developed by Avnet and National (AES-EXP-SDI-G) along with a Xilinx Spartan(R)-3A development kit, National’s FPGA source code and proprietary third-party IP and hardware. The up-converter also converts SDI to HDMI, underscoring the complex processing achieved without the use of an expensive, high-end FPGA. The system transmits the video data through an Altera Stratix(R) III FPGA development board, validating cross-platform compliance and demonstrating simplicity in porting National’s FPGA code to different platforms.
- Triple-Rate SDI Video Reference Design: Demonstration of a complete video reference design for triple-rate (3G/HD/SD) SDI applications using National’s ML571-1982CLK reference design clock module in combination with a Xilinx ML571 Virtex-5 development board. The ML571-1982CLK delivers the industry’s lowest clock output jitter of 40 ps peak-to-peak (at 148.5 MHz) to drive the Virtex-5 LXT FPGA’s integrated SerDes without the need for additional clock cleaning circuitry. The reference design module features National’s highly integrated LMH1982 multi-rate video clock generator and LMH1981 sync separator. The LMH1982 produces a top of frame (TOF) timing pulse output and can generate two simultaneous SD and HD output clocks genlocked to the recovered H and V syncs from either a Xilinx Virtex-5 LXT FPGA, or from the outputs of the LMH1981.
- New Miniature Packages for National’s triple-rate SDI EQ, reclocker and cable driver. These packages reduce IC footprint up to 49 percent for increased port density and simplified layout in multi-channel or space-constrained applications such as video routers, switchers, cameras and distribution amplifiers.
Solutions Supporting Video Systems
National’s high-performance, energy-efficient analog technology can help video engineers differentiate their products. National provides the key functions every system engineer requires, including operational amplifiers, power management, data conversion, interface and serial digital video products, audio subsystems, display ICs and networking products.
About National Semiconductor
National Semiconductor creates energy-efficient analog and mixed-signal semiconductors. Its PowerWise(R) products enable systems that consume less power, extend battery life and generate less heat. Headquartered in
PowerWise is a registered trademark of National Semiconductor Corporation. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Media Contact Reader Information Mark Alden Design Support Group National Semiconductor (800) 272-9959 (408) 721-6929 World Wide Web email@example.com www.national.com
SOURCE National Semiconductor Corp.