New Broadcom(R) Crystal HD Solution Brings High Definition Video to Netbooks
IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ – Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced its next-generation Crystal HD solution that provides consumers with the most advanced, low cost, low power, high definition (HD) video playback available on a netbook. Providing access to personal offline video and quality online HD content, such as user-generated videos, streaming movies, and online television and HD news, from a low cost, low power netbook can present a technology challenge for manufacturers. The new BroadcomÃ‚® BCM70015 single chip Crystal HD enhanced media accelerator solution breaks down these netbook cost and power barriers to provide an exceptional HD video experience.
- Broadcom Crystal HD technology gives netbook users a rich multimedia experience by providing cost-effective, quality playback of HD video.
- Broadcom’s BCM70015 single chip Crystal HD solution provides manufacturers with a highly integrated low power, low cost solution that addresses one of the key performance challenges on netbook platforms: quality playback of online streaming HD video.
- The BCM70015 single chip high-definition advanced media processor also:
- Provides software support for AdobeÃ‚® FlashÃ‚® Player (v10.1), Windows MediaÃ‚® Player (v12), as well as support for other third-party media players including both commercial and open-source.
- Leverages Broadcom’s proven set-top box (STB) and consumer media player technologies to provide one of the industry’s best HD media playback experiences on low cost netbooks.
- Is targeted for PC/x86 applications that include the playback of streaming video, Blu-ray DiscÃ‚®, file-based content and broadcast (and other TV sources).
- Is perfect for low cost netbooks, but is also designed for use in notebooks as well as small form factor (SFF) and slim desktops.
- Supports standard definition (SD) and HD multi-format video decode of industry standard codecs (H.264/AVC, MPEG-2, VC-1, WMV9, MPEG-4, DivXÃ‚®, Xvid and AVS), enabling users to enjoy a mobile media experience with no frame drops or jitter, even under a heavy CPU load.
- Is optimized for motherboard designs and is also available in the PCI Express mini-card module format.
Dan Eiref, Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom’s Consumer Electronics Line of Business
“Netbooks have grown in popularity in part because they are easily transportable. Broadcom’s low power and low cost Crystal HD technology will allow netbook owners, for the first time, to use their netbooks as portable multimedia playback devices on which they can experience HD video anytime, anywhere.”
Brian Pitstick, General Manager, Dell’s Mobile Products Group
“People on the move have declared the Inspiron Mini a favorite companion device that enables Web surfing, email, listening to music and sharing user-generated content in real time, wherever they are. Now they can add rich, high definition entertainment experiences, including smooth HD video playback, powered by Broadcom Crystal HD technology.”
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadcom Broadband Communications Group
Other Supporting Resources:
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry’s broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everythingÃ‚®.
Broadcom is one of the world’s largest fabless semiconductor companies, with 2008 revenue of $4.66 billion, and holds over 3,650 U.S. and over 1,450 foreign patents, more than 7,750 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500Ã‚® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management’s beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as “anticipates,” “expects,” “intends,” “plans,” “predicts,” “believes,” “seeks,” “estimates,” “may,” “will,” “should,” “would,” “could,” “potential,” “continue,” “ongoing,” similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, references to increased uses of netbooks as a result of the BCM70015 Crystal HD SoC solution. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the BCM70015 Crystal HD SoC solution, but are not limited to:
- The rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom’s technologies and products in the markets;
- The timing, rescheduling or cancellation of significant customer orders and our ability, as well as the ability of our customers, to manage inventory;
- The gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- Trends in the netbook markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated, and
- General economic and political conditions and specific conditions in the markets we address, including the volatility in the technology sector and semiconductor industry.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom’s actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q42009.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom, the pulse logo, Connecting everything, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Contacts Trade Press Investor Relations Heather A. Roberts T. Peter Andrew Media Relations Manager Vice President, Corporate Communications 408-922-8195 949-926-5663 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband