‘Cloud Commons’ Community Debuts to Enable IT Professionals to Learn, Share and Engage with Peers on Key Cloud Issues
LAS VEGAS, May 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — CA WORLD — CA Technologies (Nasdaq: CA) today announced the debut of Cloud Commons, a collaborative community and website for IT professionals seeking insights into how to best use cloud computing to improve how IT supports business objectives.
The goal of Cloud Commons will be to provide an information-rich environment where IT professionals can expand their knowledge and obtain pertinent information about enterprise cloud computing from across the industry. Cloud Commons will enable IT professionals to contribute to and take advantage of rigorously quantified assessments of available cloud services. By sharing experiences and expertise, participants will be able to make well-informed tactical and strategic IT sourcing and management decisions based on a broad spectrum of timely cloud-related content and best practices from like-minded peers, advice from industry experts, and an extensive directory of cloud providers and services.
In addition to CA Technologies, which is sponsoring the site, foundational members of the Cloud Commons initiative include TM Forum, Red Hat, Carnegie Mellon University and Insight Investments, which is hosting the site.
“Demand for cloud services holds significant potential for the technology and communications industries, but many barriers still exist to widespread adoption at an enterprise level,” said Martin Creaner, president, TM Forum. “We are fully supportive of this type of initiative to improve the uptake and development of a vibrant and open cloud services market.”
“As a foundation partner for CA’s Cloud Commons, we look forward to providing continued leadership in driving the next wave of technology evolution through cloud computing,” said Scott Crenshaw, vice president and GM, Cloud business unit at Red Hat. “With the rich cloud content and resources available through Cloud Commons, enterprises will be further enabled to unlock the value of the cloud.”
Among the key components of the site will be:
- Service Measurement Index (SMI), being developed by Carnegie Mellon University, a standard for quantifying and evaluating services, addressing the need for industry-wide, globally accepted measures for calculating the benefits and risks of cloud computing services.
- A marketplace of cloud computing service offerings. This marketplace is expected to include vendor service ratings to enable participants to compare alternate service options.
- An area that will allow participants to provide qualitative feedback on their experience with third-party cloud services.
- Features that will encourage peer collaboration and networking, permitting community commentary on content posted on the site and enable the sharing of cloud best practices.
- Articles from industry analysts and subject matter experts, blog feeds from industry thought leaders, white papers and stories on real experiences from IT professionals.
CA Technologies invested in initial independent research to provide starting-point information about the many cloud services. On-going community participation will be able to build on and expand this information, while also adding commentary and entirely new content. The more than 5,000 customers at CA World 2010 can be among the first to contribute their expertise and experiences to the site. Future planned additions are planned to include hosted web casts and webinars delivered by subject matter experts on cloud topics, and content in podcast and video formats.
“Today, there is no comprehensive, unbiased source that solicits and aggregates the most current and relevant knowledge about cloud computing and the accumulated, actual experiences that organizations are having with the cloud,” said David Hodgson, senior vice president of the Cloud Products & Solutions business line at CA Technologies. “Cloud Commons will address this need — providing IT professionals with situational awareness and visibility into what is possible with the cloud.”
For more information on CA World 2010 including a full agenda and registration details, visit http://www.ca.com/caworld.
- To join the CA World community on the Web or your mobile device, visit: http://caworld.ca.com/
- Follow @CAInc and @CAWorld2010 on Twitter
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Join CAInc and CAWorld on Facebook
About CA Technologies
CA Technologies (NASDAQ: CA) is an IT management software and solutions company with expertise across all IT environments – from mainframe and distributed, to virtual and cloud. CA Technologies manages and secures IT environments and enables customers to deliver more flexible IT services. CA Technologies’ innovative products and services provide the insight and control essential for IT organizations to power business agility. The majority of the Global Fortune 500 relies on CA Technologies to manage evolving IT ecosystems. For additional information, visit CA Technologies at www.ca.com. Follow CA Technologies on Twitter at www.twitter.com/cainc.
Connect with CA Technologies
Copyright Ã‚© 2010 CA. All rights reserved. All trademarks, trade names, service marks and logos referenced herein belong to their respective companies.
Press Contact Bob Gordon Phone: (631) 342-2391 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE CA Technologies