Norton Cyber Monday Special: ‘Like Us’ on FacebookÂ® and Get 50% Off
CULVER, Calif., Nov. 29, 2010 /PRNewswire/ –
WHAT/WHY: Cybercrime happens year-round, but people’s chances of becoming a victim of online scams increase during the holidays as more people purchase gifts online. In fact, one in five people who shop online fall victim to cybercrime(1).
To help ensure this holiday season is merry for all online shoppers, Norton is offering its Facebook fans 50 percent off Norton 360, its premium all-in-one security suite. Consumers can go to Norton’s Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/norton to see the offer. Those who don’t currently “Like” the Norton Facebook Page can “Like us” in order to reveal the offer. The promotion starts today, Nov. 29, and runs until Dec. 12, 2010.
Norton 360 includes essential features to help consumers stay protected while shopping online:
- Security – Protects against viruses and other online threats, like phishing scams and spam emails, which often take advantage of the holidays to dupe victims
- Identity Protection – Securely creates and stores passwords to shopping sites and other online sites
- Back Up – Protects valuable files, like holiday photos, through local and online backup
TIPS FOR SAFE ONLINE SHOPPING:
- Charge It! – Seventy-four percent of people use a debit card for online purchases(2). That’s a big no-no if you want to keep yourself safe and sane during the holidays. Using a credit card when shopping online is the way to go. That way, if your account number falls into a cybercriminal’s hands, your bank account won’t be drained and you’ll have a much easier time getting the issue resolved with your credit card company.
- “Password” is not a good password – When it comes to passwords, keep it complicated and change them frequently. Sixty-two percent of people don’t change their passwords frequently or use complex passwords(3), making it easier for cybercriminals to break into their online accounts.
- How do you know that website is safe? – You don’t, unless you use a safe search tool like Norton Safe Web. Sixty percent of people do not use a safe search tool(4), and these days, even legitimate websites can become infected with online threats without the website owners’ knowledge. To ensure you’re clicking only on safe websites, install a free tool like Norton Safe Web Lite. You can also download the Norton Safe Web for Facebook app.
Norton online shopping safety experts are available to share tips on how to stay safe EXPERTS: while shopping online. Interviews with Norton experts available upon request. Norton 360 Facebook promotion runs WHEN: Nov. 29 through Dec. 12, 2010.
CONTACT: Gerritt Hoekman, Edelman for Norton 323-202-1895 or Gerritt.Hoekman@Edelman.com
FacebookÃ‚® is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc.
(2),(3),(4)Norton Cybercrime Report: The Human Impact: http://us.norton.com/theme.jsp?themeid=cybercrime_report