Sony To Restore PlayStation Network By End Of May
Sony Corp. said on Tuesday that it plans to fully restore its PlayStation Network by the end of May.
The company also confirmed that the hackers who caused the network of over 100 million online accounts to shutdown took personal data from 24.6 million user accounts.
Sony spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka said personal data including credit card numbers might have been stolen from another 77 million PlayStation accounts.
He said Sony has not received any reports of illegal uses of stolen information.
Sony shut down the PlayStation network on April 20 after discovering the security breach.
Sony was under heavy criticism over its handling of the network intrusion. The company notified the users of its PlayStation Network on April 26, although it said it began an investigation of the incident on April 19.
U.S. lawyers filed a lawsuit against Sony last month on behalf of lead plaintiff Kristopher Johns for negligent protection of personal data and failure to inform players in a timely fashion that their credit card information may have been stolen.
Christian Svensson, Senior Vice-President of Capcom, shared his irritation with users on the Capcom-Unity forum.
“I’m frustrated and upset by it for a number of reasons,” he wrote in a blog post.
“As an executive responsible for running a business, the resulting outage [is] obviously costing us hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue that were planned for within our budget.
“These are funds we rely on to bring new games to market for our fans.”
On the Net: