June 1, 2011
Norton Everywhere’s First Anniversary Brings New Partnerships, Technology
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., June 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Norton by Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) is marking the one year anniversary of its Norton Everywhere "Beyond-the-PC" initiative, introducing new partnerships and product updates that help deliver Norton protection across locations, devices and digital experiences. Today, Norton is announcing partners including OneWifi, Hi-Tech Sound, The WiFi Company, KDDI Corporation and T-Mobile Austria, all of which are leveraging Norton mobile solutions to protect their customers wherever they go. Additionally, Norton is announcing updates to Norton Mobile Security and a new mobile application for Norton Online Family users.
"Launching Norton Everywhere a year ago has been an important investment in the future of our Consumer Business," said Janice Chaffin, group president, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec. "We've taken a unique approach to developing a post-PC era Norton that includes introducing new mobile products, expanding our current products with mobile apps and combining our technology with mainstream consumer brands to protect more people in more places. The market reception has been highly positive and in the coming year we'll continue creating partnerships and technologies that will bring the most trusted name in PC security to mobile and Wi-Fi users all over the world."
- OneWifi, Hi-Tech Sound and The WiFi Company - Norton has entered an agreement with OneWifi, Hi-Tech Sound and The WiFi Company to provide Norton DNS to customers using the in-store Wi-Fi for a major food and beverage retail chain in the U.S. Norton DNS protects users who click on unsafe or inappropriate websites and provides a safer, more reliable, and faster Internet experience by using Norton Safe Web technology to deliver a variety of basic protection services like blocking phishing sites as well as known infected websites to prevent accidental downloads of malware and spyware.
- KDDI Corporation - KDDI is one of the largest telecommunications companies in Japan and has begun offering Norton Mobile Security along with the sale of Android tablet offerings.
- T-Mobile Austria - T-Mobile Austria is a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom. Deutsche Telekom is one of the world's leading integrated telecommunications companies with around 128 million mobile customers, 36 million fixed-network lines and approximately 17 million broadband lines (as of March 31, 2011). The Group provides products and services for the fixed network, mobile communications, the Internet and IPTV for consumers, and ICT solutions for business customers and corporate customers. Deutsche Telekom is present in over 50 countries and has around 244,000 employees worldwide. The Group generated revenues of EUR 62.4 billion in the 2010 financial year - more than half of it outside Germany (as of December 31, 2010).
"As Android devices become increasingly popular, there is a greater chance they could be targeted by cybercriminals or more commonly, lost or stolen," said Maria Zesch, Marketing Director T-Mobile Austria. "We are delighted to now offer T-Mobile Austria customers the ability to secure their smart phones or tablets from physical and online crime with the powerful protection of Norton security."
In addition to these new global partnerships, Norton Mobile Security is available at select retailers worldwide, including a significant presence in Japan with 17 of the country's major retail chains offering the product.
Product and Technology Updates
- Norton Mobile Security for Android 2.0 Beta - Now features antiphishing technology to protect users who access email on their smartphone. Phishing occurs when hackers pretending to be legitimate companies use email to request personal information and direct recipients to respond through malicious web sites. Phishing is an equal opportunity scam, taking place just as easily over a phone or tablet as on a PC or Mac, so having built-in protection is essential. Norton Mobile Security also features remote locate functionality in addition to remote wipe and lock. Following a quick initial set-up, users can locate, lock or wipe their Android device with a simple text message in the event of loss or theft. Additionally, users can block unwanted calls and texts - all from a product that boasts Norton-strength antimalware protection. Norton Mobile Security has more than 300,000 downloads and a 4 out of 5 star rating on the Android Market.
Norton Online Family To Go Beta - With more than one million new worldwide customer registrations since 2010, Norton Online Family is giving parents more freedom and ease to stay connected to their children, anytime, anywhere. Norton Online Family To Go is a new mobile application that allows parents using Norton Online Family to view their children's online activities and manage each child's "House Rules" from their iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, with other OS support planned this year. This new mobile application enables parents to:
- Receive Norton Online Family alerts
- See what websites their children have visited, what they've searched for, and who they've chatted with
- Configure and manage the "house rules" for each child including web browsing, time monitoring, IM chat monitoring and sharing personal information
Pricing and Availability
Norton Mobile Security 2.0 Beta is now available as a free 21-day trial download on the Android marketplace.
Norton Online Family To Go Beta is now available in all English speaking countries as a free download on iTunes or the App Store. Availability on the Android Market is also planned in the coming weeks.
About Norton by Symantec
Symantec's Norton products protect consumers from cybercrime with technologies like antivirus, anti-spyware and phishing protection -- while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup, PC tuneup, and family online safety. Like Norton on Facebook at www.facebook.com/norton and follow @NortonOnline on Twitter.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Forward Looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec Logo, the Checkmark Logo, and Norton are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Sondra Magness Louis Cheng Norton by Symantec Edelman Public Relations +1 (424) 750-7576 +1 (650) 762-2814 [email protected] [email protected]
SOURCE Norton by Symantec