Now Available in V CAST Apps: Net Safety Tips On The Go – The First-Ever Online Safety and Security Education App
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., June 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Verizon Wireless said today it is spotlighting Net Safety Tips On The Go, the first-ever digital safety and security advice app for Android(TM) smartphones as part of National Internet Safety Month. Now available in V CAST Apps, the app, developed by Google and Verizon together with premier online safety education organizations, provides critical online privacy, security and youth online safety educational messages to help Verizon Wireless customers protect their privacy, families and finances when using their Android smartphones.
Net Safety Tips On The Go gives customers a wide range of and easy-to-understand tips including:
- Mobile – Tips around mobile teens, mobile privacy and mobile safety, including how constant texting and talking can affect customers sleep, concentration, work and school, among other important life activities.
- Secure Data/Device – Information on how customers can protect themselves against fraud, phishing, ID theft and general password-protecting suggestions.
- Sharing Privacy – Advice and tips for social networking privacy, sharing locations and surfing the Web privately like considering requiring a password before anyone can use their computers or wireless devices.
- Family Safety – Tips for parents and children on social media tactics, cyber bullying, reputation, privacy and unwanted contact. Examples include how to set real expectations when trying to limit the time a child spends on a social network or the importance of explaining that GPS-technology is a service that should only be used with known acquaintances.
- Smart Android Tips – Besides giving simple “how-to” directions, the app gives tips on protecting data, managing apps and more – even advising customers how to be aware of the interferences mobile devices might have with implantable medical devices.
- Digital Citizenship – Tips to help customers become an upstanding digital citizen, such as advising customers to never post anything to any site that they would not want to see on the front page of a newspaper.
Mobile app-based education is another way for customers to learn about online safety and security. The tips and guidelines featured in the Net Safety Tips On The Go app are the result of some of the world’s premier security education organizations, including Common Sense Media, ConnectSafely.org, OnGuardOnline.gov and GetNetwise.org, with additional organizations expected to contribute soon.
Net Safety Tips On The Go is available to Verizon Wireless customers through V CAST Apps. V CAST Apps gives customers an ever-expanding selection of games, productivity tools, entertainment and news apps. Customers can also download Net Safety Tips On The Go in Android Market(TM) (data and usage fees may apply).
Verizon Wireless offers a variety of personalized tools, including My Verizon, Verizon Safeguards, Usage Controls and Content Filters to help customers manage their wireless accounts and ensure they are being used in a safe and responsible manner. These tools and more can be found on the Parental Controls Center website – Verizon Wireless’ comprehensive website with information to help consumers manage and create a digital experience that’s just right for their families.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless