Cobra Electronics Offers ‘Top 10 Safety Tips for Summer Driving Preparedness’
CHICAGO, June 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ – Cobra Electronics Corporation (NASDAQ: COBR), celebrating 50 years of innovation in 2011 as a leading designer and manufacturer of award-winning consumer and mobile electronics, today offered consumers a simple checklist of its ‘Top 10 Safety Tips for Summer Driving Preparedness’ as people across the country gear up for their summer driving adventures:
- Plan Ahead. Plan your trip in advance, considering weather forecasts, road construction, alternate routes, and even refueling locations in advance of long stretches of rural roadways.
- Get Inspected. Have your car inspected before departing, with attention to fluid levels, lights, battery, belts, tire condition, air conditioning, brakes, and spare tire condition.
- Stay Awake. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, drivers falling asleep at the wheel account for 100,000 U.S. crashes annually. Develop a plan that involves frequent stops, stretching, and regular driver rotation.
- Avoid Alcohol. Alcohol is a key factor in fatal traffic crashes; playing a role in about half of all motor vehicle deaths. That makes weekend nights even more dangerous. In fact, more fatal crashes take place on weekend nights than at any other time of the week.
- Stock Up. One of the most dangerous summer driving situations involves becoming stranded in a hot, desolate location due to mechanical problems. Your safety kit should therefore include sunscreen, plenty of water, first aid kit, spare car keys, food supplies, flares or reflective triangles, gloves, and spare engine coolant.
- Get a Map. Even if you know your route well, always carry maps, a GPS navigation unit, or a smartphone app with GPS mapping or navigation.
- Stay Aware. There are many potential sources of driving mishaps, most of which can be avoided by staying alert at all times. Monitor cockpit gauges frequently, and be aware of the weather, road conditions, accidents, road signs, and stop lights. Over 450,000 injury crashes occur annually in adverse weather and road conditions according to the US Department of Transportation.
- Slow Down. Watch your speed and obey posted speed limits. Lower speeds also mean better gas mileage.
- Be Prepared. In the event of trouble, the right tool can be a life saver. Recommended equipment includes a tire jack, basic tool kit, jumper cables and/or jump starter, alternate power source, air compressor, and flashlight/emergency light.
- Stay Connected. Don’t forget your mobile phone & charger programmed with important numbers, including your insurance agent and AAA. Two or more phones in the car are even better.
Cobra Electronics is a leading provider of mobile and consumer electronics, many of which are geared towards keeping consumers safe and protected on the road, in the wilderness, or on the water. With summer driving season upon us, Cobra offers these innovative and affordable safety products as ‘must have’ items for Safety Tips #7 – #10 above as drivers stock up and prepare for summer driving:
Stay Aware. Cobra iRadar(TM) is the industry's most advanced radar/laser/red light camera detection system, which includes GPS-based mapping features and real-time safety alerts, including alert info from other iRadar users in your vicinity. The system consists of an advanced, windshield-mounted radar/laser detector combined with the Cobra iRadar app, which is currently available at no charge for Apple(R)iPhone, iPod Touch, and Android(TM) 7. devices. Retail price: $129.95. Slow Down. While some people perceive radar detectors as a 'license to speed,' studies have shown that detector owners are actually safer, more aware drivers. Cobra's 2011 family of digital radar detectors consists of five new models across two new product series, with pricing starting at $89.95; the Cobra Formula S Series with three new models, and the Cobra Formula R Series consisting of two ultra-performance detector models. The Cobra iRadar smartphone app takes it one step further, with a brilliant and highly accurate graphical speedometer for precise 8. speed control. Be Prepared. Cobra offers a wide array of essential must- 9. have tools and equipment for safe summer driving: Jump Starters. Whether power is needed to jump start a vehicle, operate AC appliances, or charge mobile electronic devices, Cobra Electronics has got it all in one convenient package, with four compact models. Models offer AC (up to 900 peak amps and up to 400 Watts continuous) and DC power, USB power output, and some models offer LED work lights and air compressors delivering up to 260 psi for tire inflation. Prices a. start at $69.95. Power Inverters. Cobra's family of power inverters presents convenient and safe power solutions for an array of travel and emergency situations. Cobra offers power inverters for everything from charging laptops and mobile phones to powering emergency lighting, AC appliances, and more. Units range from 130 Watts to 2500 Watts continuous, with options including USB power output, AC outlets, and cigarette lighter power or direct-to-battery power cables, b. with prices ranging from $39.95 to $325.95. LED Lighting. No summer driving safety kit is complete without powerful and reliable lighting. Cobra offers two high-intensity models with rechargeable batteries delivering up to 7 hours of power and up to 100,000 hours of LED life, with prices ranging from $29.95 to c. $39.95. Stay Connected. Mobile phones are a necessity on virtually any summer adventure, and can in-fact be a life saver, yet battery charging options can be limited on the road. Cobra's line of power inverters, jump starters, and even Cobra iRadar offer USB power outputs for charging or an 10. emergency power source for drained cell phones.
About Cobra Electronics:
Cobra Electronics is a leading global designer and marketer of communication and navigation products, with a track record of delivering innovative and award-winning products. Building upon its leadership position in the GMRS/FRS two-way radio, radar detector and Citizens Band radio industries, Cobra identified new growth opportunities and has aggressively expanded into the marine market and has expanded its European operations. The Consumer Electronics Association, Forbes and Deloitte & Touche have all recognized Cobra for the company’s innovation and industry leadership. To learn more about Cobra Electronics, please visit the Cobra site at www.cobra.com. Follow Cobra on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CobraElectronic and Like Us at www.facebook.com/CobraElectronics.
Media Contacts: Stephen Drusano Chris Kooistra Skyya Communications Cobra Electronics (212) 969-1777 (773) 307-8386 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
SOURCE Cobra Electronics