July 18, 2011
Anonymous Announces Plans For Social Network
Hacktivist group Anonymous announced plans for a new social network after the group's Google+ accounts were shut down.
The group said its AnonPlus service will be free "of fear...of censorship...of blackout" and "for all people not just Anonymous."The project was announced over the weekend after several pseudonymous Google+ accounts supporting Anonymous were shut down.
"As some of you know we got banned from Google+ due to some of our content," said YourAnonNews, one of the affected accounts.
"What we didn't know at the time is that we were just one of a handful of Anonymous accounts that was [sic] silenced."
"We've all heard the stories of activists being banned from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and governments blocking their people from these sites as well through organized black outs."
Anonymous gained notoriety last year for its cyber attacks against PayPal and Visa after the companies shut down WikiLeaks' accounts. There have been dozens of alleged members of the group arrested in international raids this year.
AnonPlus claims that 18 developers will work on the new project.
"This project is not overnight and will take many of those out there who simply want a better Internet," it says.
On the Net: