July 28, 2011
Amer Networks’ Cloud-Managed Wi-Fi Combines Robust Functionality and Unprecedented Affordability to Deliver Mobile-Device Connectivity to Boaz City Schools
TORONTO and PALO ALTO, Calif., July 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Amer Networks, a manufacturer and global distributor of networking, storage and security products, and PowerCloud(TM) Systems, the leading software platform provider for cloud-managed networking services, today announce that the Boaz City School District in Boaz, AL, has upgraded its wireless network to Amer's cloud-managed 802.11n wireless solution powered by CloudCommand(TM).
The multi-site installation demonstrates the district's commitment to delivering digital classrooms and a 21st century learning environment to its 2,500 public-school students as well as Amer's ability to provide an affordable Wi-Fi networking solution designed to meet the specific needs of the education market.
- Boaz City School District is completing a 100-unit installation of Amer's cloud-managed Wi-Fi networking solution, the WAP223NC access point, which delivers 802.11n coverage, business-grade features, remote-management capability and hotspot functionality to all five city schools and two administrative offices.
- The Wi-Fi network will serve nearly 3,000 students, staff and visitors who can access the Internet from classrooms, libraries, cafeterias, gymnasiums, common areas, staff offices and even school parking lots. Remote-management capabilities from the cloud enable a single IT administrator to manage all seven locations in real time, reducing network down time and eliminating most service calls.
- Amer's WAP223NC is the only Wi-Fi access point designed specifically for the education market and it is powered by CloudCommand, a cloud-managed networking platform developed by PowerCloud Systems that radically reduces customers' total cost of ownership by managing networking equipment through the cloud.
- With CloudCommand, Boaz education officials gain features such as: full-campus coverage; remote management; enhanced security with Individual Device Authentication (IDA); the ability to establish a single network across multiple locations; SMS alerting; and hotspot functionality that enables administrators to moderate network usage on a per-student basis.
- Prior to Amer's installation, each school operated an independent Wi-Fi network using Linksys and Apple hardware that was unable to handle the surging demand for wireless connectivity. Officials note that many students bring two or more mobile devices to school each day and all network users expect fast, uninterrupted connectivity. The district is committed to delivering a 21st century digital learning environment and considers secure Wi-Fi connectivity a top priority.
- Amer's solution costs a fraction of competitive alternatives. The total cost for the Amer access points and cloud-based services for all seven district locations was considerably less than an established competitor's quote to install Wi-Fi in just two locations.
Wayne Caudle, Boaz City School District IT Director:
"We prepare students for success in the 21st century and that requires a digital-classroom environment with great Wi-Fi connectivity as its foundation. Our high school students bring laptops to class and many use smartphones and even tablets on campus. Robust connectivity is a must-have, and Amer Network delivers a Wi-Fi solution that can manage this increasing demand."
"Amer's cloud-based solution exceeded our operational requirements from Day One. Students and staff effortlessly connected across campuses and between buildings. Teachers can immediately start expanding their lesson plans to make technology a more integral part to their classroom instruction. Features such as enhanced security and network monitoring enable us to provide an online environment that is safe, controlled and powerful."
Wai Lee, CEO of Amer Networks:
"The Boaz City School District understands the critical role technology should play in educating today's students. We are thrilled to help advance their education goals by providing a cloud-managed Wi-Fi solution that meets their needs and budget."
About Amer Networks
Amer is a manufacturer and global distributor of networking, storage and security products. Since its founding in 1997 in the education enterprise sector, it has earned the reputation as a provider of reliable hardware backed by the most comprehensive support and customer-appropriate product warranties on the market. Through its growing reseller network, Amer is expanding into the SOHO/SME market with a growing line of innovative, value-laden products that enhance productivity and improve efficiency - anywhere and everywhere that people connect. For more information, visit www.amer.com.
About PowerCloud Systems, Inc.
PowerCloud Systems is the leading software platform provider for cloud-managed networking services. Its CloudCommand technology makes networking equipment economical and dramatically easier to deploy, configure, secure and manage. Based in Palo Alto, Calif., PowerCloud Systems is a spin-out from PARC that is funded by PARC, Walden Venture Capital and Javelin Venture Partners. For more information, visit www.powercloudsystems.com.
For more information, contact
Brian D. Johnson, PowerCloud Systems, Inc.
SOURCE PowerCloud Systems, Inc.