July 28, 2011
TI announces industry’s smallest, fully integrated 16-bit ADC
DALLAS, July 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry's smallest, 16-bit delta-sigma analog-to-digital converter (ADC) with integrated programmable gain amplifier (PGA), reference, temperature sensor and 4-input multiplexer. Measuring 2 mm x 1.5 mm, the ADS1118 is more than 65-percent smaller than any other 16-bit ADC available today. The ADS1118 provides direct, linearized measurements with uncalibrated error guaranteed below 0.5 degrees Celsius (C) from 0 degrees C to 65 degrees C, a 75-percent improvement over the competition. It is also the lowest-power 16-bit ADC with a built-in internal reference supporting data rates up to 860 samples per second. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/ads1118-pr.
Key features and benefits of the ADS1118
- Integration reduces overall solution size: Integrates a 16-bit ADC, PGA, temperature sensor, low-drift reference and 4-input multiplexer for data acquisition of multiple signals from a wide variety of sensors.
- Small size saves board space: Small QFN package option enables close proximity to sensors, lowering component count by simplifying cold junction compensation for thermocouples.
- Low power extends battery life: Supports 2.0-V to 5.5-V power supplies while consuming only 150 uA (typical) to extend the battery life of portable, battery-powered industrial devices for temperature measurement, gas monitoring, industrial process control, instrumentation and more.
- Provides a complete data acquisition solution when paired with an MSP430(TM) microcontroller.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed development with the ADS1118, including an IBIS model, anti-aliasing filter tool for data converters and op amp to ADC circuit topography calculator. Engineers can also ask questions and help solve problems in the Precision Data Converter Forum in the TI E2E(TM) Community.
An evaluation module (ADS1118EVM), including software and source code, is available today for a suggested retail price of $49.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The ADS1118 is available now in a 5-mm x 3-mm MSOP package. Samples of the 2-mm x 1.5-mm QFN package are also available today with production quantities expected in December. Both package options are priced at $2.22 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI's precision data converter portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order ADS1118 samples: www.ti.com/ads1118-pr
- Order the evaluation module: www.ti.com/ads1118evm-pr
- Download the data sheet: www.ti.com/ads1118ds-pr
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be - smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do - from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430 and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated