August 11, 2011
Summer Meals Made Simple With the Microwave From Amana Brand
BENTON HARBOR, Mich., Aug. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Summer is right around the corner and between trips to the pool or beach, yard work and various summer camps, there may not be a lot of time to spend on meals. Luckily, Amana, the brand that developed the first countertop microwave, has quick, easy tips for utilizing the ultimate time-saving appliance.
According to a recent online survey conducted for Whirlpool Corporation by Harris InteractiveÃ®, 55 percent of U.S. adults named the microwave as the appliance innovation that has most impacted their day-to-day lives in the past century. The microwave is a long-standing staple for simplifying life in the kitchen.
"Using the microwave doesn't mean you have to serve your family frozen TV dinners," said Evelyn Carpenter, Amana brand microwave expert. "You can prepare a simple gourmet dinner from start to finish if you utilize the cooking sensors and know a few key tricks."
When preparing large dishes, it's best to stir or rearrange the food during cooking to ensure even heating. The spacious models mean that even desserts, like brownies, can be whipped up without hassle. Just be sure to shield the corners of your pan with small pieces of foil to prevent the corners from overcooking.
Here are a handful of easy microwave meals:
- Fresh fish fillets are a great choice for a warm summer evening, and the microwave is well-equipped to handle this menu option.
- If starting with frozen fish, use the microwave's defrost cycle, flipping when necessary. If your particular model doesn't have a defrost option, cook at 30 percent power and cover thin tails with small pieces of foil. Be sure the foil doesn't touch the inside walls of the oven.
- To prepare the fillets perfectly, add two tablespoons of water and a drizzle of fresh-squeezed lemon, then cover the dish. Cook the fish at 70 percent power for four to six minutes per pound and tuck thin ends underneath the pieces. The fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork and is firm and opaque. Garnish with fresh herbs, like parsley or dill.
- Steamed garden vegetables complement any meal, and the vegetable cooking sensor on Amana microwaves helps prevent soggy zucchini and dried out broccoli. To use this cycle, first choose between fresh or frozen vegetables. Then, in a microwave-safe container, add two to four tablespoons of water and cover the vegetables with vented plastic wrap or a lid. The water keeps the vegetables moist and ensures a flavorful dish with the right amount of crunch. The vegetable cooking sensor also prevents overcooking, which causes vegetables to lose nutrients.
- Corn on the cob is a summer favorite for many, and Amana microwaves can easily cook this side dish to perfection. First remove the hulks and silks from the corn, then butter and season as desired. Next place two ears in a glass dish with two tablespoons of water and cover with plastic wrap, leaving a corner uncovered to allow steam to escape. Cook for six minutes on high or, for four ears, cook eight to 10 minutes.
Microwave cleanup is just as simple as meal preparation. To remove food that has splattered in the microwave - which can affect the smell of the kitchen - use a damp cloth and mild soap or a water-based cleaner. Avoid using ammonia- or bleach-based cleaners in the microwave and never spray directly into the microwave. Instead, spray the cleaning cloth then wipe the microwave. If your microwave has a glass turntable, it can be placed in your dishwasher for easy cleaning.
To get rid of leftover food smells, such as burnt popcorn, heat up a cup of water with one tablespoon of lemon juice for four to five minutes, then let it sit in the microwave for several minutes after the cycle.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Whirlpool from May 18-20, 2011 among 2,407 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact [email protected]
About Harris Interactive
Harris Interactive is one of the world's leading custom market research firms, leveraging research, technology, and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for the Harris Poll and for pioneering innovative research methodologies, Harris offers expertise in a wide range of industries including healthcare, technology, public affairs, energy, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, media, retail, restaurant, and consumer package goods. Serving clients in over 215 countries and territories through our North American, European, and Asian offices and a network of independent market research firms, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help us - and our clients - stay ahead of what's next. For more information, please visit www.harrisinteractive.com.
Established in 1934, Amana has a history of designing innovative cooking, dish, laundry and refrigeration household appliances. With its introduction of the original countertop microwave in 1967, Amana was put on the map as a brand dedicated to bringing convenience to consumers' lives. Amana brand is part of Whirlpool Corporation the world's leading manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances, with annual sales of approximately $18 billion in 2010, 71,000 employees, and 67 manufacturing and technology research centers around the world. For more information on Amana brand appliances, visit http://www.amana.com.
SOURCE Amand Brand