Drivers and cyclists sharing the road in Brisbane
With research showing that 25 per cent of Brisbane drivers have had a near miss with a cyclist, NRMA is urging drivers and cyclists to share the road to help reduce the risk of a collision*.
(PRWEB) August 27, 2011
With research showing that 25 per cent of Brisbane drivers have had a near miss with a cyclist, NRMA Home Insurance is urging drivers and cyclists to share the road to help reduce the risk of a collision*.
NRMA Home Insurance spokesperson Andrew Tubb said with the weather starting to warm up and the recent excitement around cycling, we can expect more cyclists to be out and about.
Ã¢Å“Research has shown us that a cyclist can be lost in a driverÃ¢s frontal blind spot from as close as nine metres, demonstrating how critical it is for both cyclists and drivers to be aware of whatÃ¢s happening around them.
Ã¢Å“We want to encourage Brisbane drivers and cyclists to work together to stay safe on the road,Ã¢ said Mr Tubb.
NRMA Insurance offers some tips for Brisbane drivers and cyclists:
- Drive with caution and watch out for cyclists at all times, allowing a safe distance when passing them;
- Drivers should be alert for cyclists at intersections, roundabouts and in residential streets;
- Cyclists should follow the road rules and use cycleways and bike lanes where available;
- When riding at night, cyclists should wear bright reflective clothing, secure reflectors to their bike and use headlights to ensure they are visible;
- Cyclists should always wear an Australian Standards approved helmet; and
- Drivers and cyclists should make sure their insurance is up-to-date.
The insurer also said that cyclists should consider protecting themselves against liability for damage or injury they may cause.
Ã¢Å“As a cyclist, when you have NRMA Home Contents Insurance, and youÃ¢re involved in a collision thatÃ¢s your fault, you can be covered for property damage or injuries caused to another person,Ã¢ Mr Tubb said.
NRMA Home Contents Insurance also covers your bicycle with your other belongings at home, and Brisbane households can take up the Portable Contents option to cover the bike if it is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged outside the home.
- Based on a survey of 500 QLD drivers by Pure Profile Research in August 2011.
This is general advice only so to see if this product is right for you, consider your own circumstances and the Product Disclosure Statement from the product issuer, NRMA Insurance.
NRMA Insurance is a leading insurance provider, offering Home Insurance, Car Insurance, Motorcycle Insurance, Travel Insurance, Business Insurance, Boat Insurance, Health Insurance and Caravan Insurance, in QLD.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2011/8/prweb8749471.htm