BTI Systems Simplifies Services in the Metro With the Dynamic Optical Layer
OTTAWA, Ontario, Aug. 30, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — BTI Systems, the networking company that creates high-capacity and agile service infrastructures for the metro, today introduced its Dynamic Optical Layer, a revolutionary approach to optical service delivery that redefines how metro networks are designed and managed. Engineered to meet rapidly changing capacity and traffic patterns in metropolitan and aggregation networks, the Dynamic Optical Layer lets service providers simply create optical networks in seconds. This capability allows service providers to crush operating costs and enhance revenue velocity while supporting flexible 100G future-proof metro packet optical networks.
As service providers increase metro network capacity to support the explosion in Over-The-Top content and mobile broadband traffic, they are continually challenged by design complexity in engineering metro networks effectively to scale and monetize the delivery of new rapid growth services.
With the first optical solution expressly designed from the ground up for metro and aggregation networks, BTI Systems is delivering a touchless, modular architecture that dramatically changes how design, installation and operation of an optical layer network are managed and in the process creates a true agile metro service delivery network. The Dynamic Optical Layer provides a critical step in creating simple, deployable network solutions that optimize application delivery and completely change OPEX associated with traditional reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexing (ROADM) approaches.
“Network operators want to lower the cost and improve the flexibility of their networks to address unanticipated growth and opportunities,” said Andrew Schmitt, Directing Analyst, Optical for Infonetics Research. “ROADM based optical networks eliminate unnecessary electronics and can be remotely reconfigured, reducing both CAPEX and OPEX. This is the fastest growing segment of the optical market and easier to deploy ROADM equipment such as BTI Systems’ are well suited to increasing the size of the market this technology can reach.”
Commercially available today, the Dynamic Optical Layer combines ROADM, reach extension, and end-to-end service and path-centric management capabilities via a simple upgrade to its BTI 7000 Series packet optical networking portfolio. The Dynamic Optical Layer includes ROADM-on-a-Blade (ROB) modules for flexible, point-and-click wavelength routing, DWDM Line Amplifier (DLA) modules for reach extension plus an Intelligent Control System that autonomously monitors and adjusts optical characteristics; radically simplifying the planning, deployment, service provisioning, ongoing optimization, and power management of the network. The Dynamic Optical Layer leverages new continuous spectrum based WSS technology, a new approach to metro amplification and new intelligent control algorithms.
Key Features of the Dynamic Optical Layer include:
- Zero Channel Turn-up – Network commissioning without adding wavelengths instant in-service.
- Service Activation in Seconds – Integration with proNX Service Manager for end point selection and activation across the network in seconds.
- Gridless Channel Support – Supports any wavelength, alien wavelengths, 40G, 100G and beyond with any grid spacing.
- Any-wavelength Anywhere – Supports full-40 wavelength (400Gbps) system capacity and offers “any wavelength anywhere” add/drop access, automated network equalization, and per-channel performance monitoring metrics.
- Touchless Power Balancing – Completely removes previous manual procedures with an automated system that automatically measures span losses, adjusts input power and amplifier dynamic range, adjusts output launch power, continuously adjusts per-channel equalization and compensate for channel and line variations – all without operator intervention.
- Simple Integration of Carrier Ethernet – With a Touchless optical layer and the service-centric management tools to simplify Ethernet and wavelength service delivery across the metro.
“Metro networks have evolved from pure connectivity solutions to now being the key point for intelligent service delivery for content and applications,” said Dr. Robert Keys, VP Solutions Development, BTI Systems “This shift is driving a transformation in the relationship between applications and networks. The innovation in the Dynamic Optical Layer is a fundamental underpinning in creating an agile service delivery network where the optical layer autonomously reacts to the services needs of the metro network.”
About BTI Systems
BTI Systems is the networking company that creates high-capacity and agile service infrastructures for metropolitan networks. With its suite of packet optical networking and intelligent service delivery platforms, BTI Systems provides a scalable foundation for network operators to create a dynamic, responsive network to scale capacity and deliver a mix of applications, services and content. More than 300 customers throughout the globe rely on BTI Systems to monetize service delivery and simplify end-to-end management of its network. Headquartered in the heart of Ottawa’s technology corridor, BTI Systems operates regional sales, research and development hubs in key technology markets throughout the world. For more information, visit www.btisystems.com.
SOURCE BTI Systems