Wikileaks Succumbs To Cyber Attack After Releasing More Cables
The Wikileaks website crashed on Tuesday after the site published thousands more secret U.S. diplomatic cables.
The site released over 130,000 confidential U.S. cables, many of which did not remove the names of sources.
The group denied that any sources were exposed or that there were any mistakes in the data release.
It said in a statement on its website that its latest release contained 133,887 cables sent from U.S. embassies around the world to the state department.
The release marked nine months of the “Cablegate” project. Such a large volume was needed because the mainstream media has stopped covering Wikileaks updates recently.
“The decision to publish 133,877 cables was taken in accordance with Wikileaks’ commitment to maximizing impact, and making information available to all,” said the group.
Wikileaks also released the names of 23 Australians believed to have been linked to terror groups in Yemen.
“The publication of any information that could compromise Australia’s national security – or inhibit the ability of intelligence agencies to monitor potential threats – is incredibly irresponsible,” he said in a statement.
A U.S. Department of State spokesman said the U.S. “strongly condemns any illegal disclosure of classified information” which put individuals security at risk, damaged U.S. interests and undermined diplomatic efforts.
Wikileaks claimed that it was “totally false that any Wikileaks sources have been exposed or will be exposed.”
The group also said through its Twitter account that it had been at fault, but said there had been “a grossly negligent mainstream media error, to put it generously.”
Once the site fell under attack on Tuesday night after the storm of media coverage, Wikileaks said on its Twitter page: “Wikileaks.org is presently under attack.” The site described the problem as “a cyber attack.”
There is no word on who or which group may have attacked Wikileaks, but the site has since been put back online.
On the Net: