TI introduces the industry’s smallest single-wire I/O expander
DALLAS, Sept. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry’s smallest single-wire I/O expander with self-timed, single-wire (STSW) technology from Texas Instruments. The TCA5405 allows system designers to control and expand outputs to as many as five, using a single processor general purpose input/output (GPIO). This expander reduces the number of connections needed, thus eliminating 50 percent of the lines versus I2C, and 75 percent compared to a serial peripheral interface (SPI) bus. Download a data sheet and order your samples here: www.ti.com/tca5405-pr.
This device can be implemented in many design configurations that require a small footprint, such as cell phones, personal digital assistants (PDAs), portable media players, and portable instrumentation devices such as blood glucose meters and insulin pumps.
TCA5405 key features and benefits
- Easier implementation of port expansion makes it suitable for simple functions, such as chip select (CS) or enable (EN) pins, as well as complex functions like driving LEDs (<20 mA).
- One-wire protocol-based port expansion in an eight-pin, 2.25-mm2 micro-QFN package makes it the industry’s smallest five-channel expander.
- STSW interface reduces connections by as much as 50 percent versus I2C, and 75 percent versus serial peripheral interface (SPI).
- Standby current consumption, which is 20 percent lower than the nearest competitor, supports power-savvy, high-performance applications with 2 uA and a drive strength current of +20 mA.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of free tools and support to speed development time:
Availability and pricing
The TCA5405 comes in an eight-pin, 2.25-mm2 RUG micro-QFN package. It is in full production now and is available from TI and authorized distributors with the suggested resale price of $0.65 in quantities of 1,000.
Learn more about TI’s I2C portfolio:
- Order samples of the TCA5405 here: www.ti.com/tca5405-pr.
- Download the latest I2C selection guide: www.ti.com/i2cguide-pr.
- Quickly search TI’s entire interface portfolio and other interface devices, or download the latest selection guide: www.ti.com/interface-pr.
- Ask questions and help solve problems with fellow engineers in the TI E2E(TM) Community: www.ti.com/interfaceforum-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated