American Journal of the Medical Science
The American Journal of the Medical Science (AJMS) is a peer-reviewed medical journal established in 1820 as the Philadelphia Journal of the Medical and Physical Sciences by Nathaniel Chapman. A new series was started in 1825 under the editorship of Chapman, William Potts Dewees and John D. Godman. Editorship passed to Isaac Hays in 1827, who changed its name to the current moniker. Hays helped make this journal one of the most important American medical journals of the 19th century.
The Southern Society for Clinical Investigation became sponsor of the journal in 1984. On February 1, 1995 — the 175th anniversary of the first issue, a special issue was released featuring a photograph of Volume 1 from 1820, a brief history of the journal, and contemporary critique of three classic articles, including (Leo Buerger “Thrombo-angiitis Obliterans: A Study of the Vascular Lesions Leading to Presenile Spontaneous Gangrene,” (1908)); critiqued by David A. Cutler and Marschall S. Runge of the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.
AJMS is currently published monthly by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. In 2006, Journal Citation Reports ranked it 41 of 103 medical journals. As of May 2012, the editor-in-chief is David W. Ploth (Charleston, SC, USA).
Among notable contributors, are: Samuel George Morton, who published his first medical essay in the 1825 journal; Henry Jacob Bigelow, who republished “Dr. Harlow’s case of Recovery from the passage of an Iron Bar through the Head” (1850); and G. Kenneth Mallory and Soma Weiss, who described the first 15 cases of Mallory-Weiss syndrome in 1929.
Image Caption: 2007 cover of the medical journal The American Journal of the Medical Sciences. Credit: Wikipedia