The Zoological Journal was a scientific journal published in the early nineteenth century on a quarterly basis. It was devoted entirely to zoology (animal kingdom). It was published in London by W. Philips. It featured “Original Communications, Translations of new and interesting Papers from Foreign sources and notices of new and remarkable facts in any way connected with Zoology,” according to Gentlemen’s Magazine, 1823.
The journal’s editors were Thomas Bell, John George Children, James De Carle Sowerby, George Brettingham Sowerby, and Nicholas Aylward Vigors. It was established by a splinter group of the Linnean Society who favored the Quinarian system.
Five volumes were published between 1824 and 1834: volume 1 1824-1825, volume 2 1825-1826, volume 3 1827-1828, volume 4 1828-1829, volume 5 1832-1834. No volumes were published between 1830-1831.
Image Caption: “Testudo actinodes” (Geochelone elegans) from the Zoological Journal (1825-1835). Supplementary Plate No. 23. Illustrated by James de Carle Sowerby. Hand-colored copperplate engraving. Credit: ADMcCormick/Wikipedia (CC BY-SA 3.0)