Latest Stellwagen Bank Stories
Northeast Fisheries Science Center: NOAA A shift in the prey available to Atlantic cod in the Gulf of Maine that began nearly a decade ago contributed to the controversy that surrounded the 2011 assessment for this stock. A recent study of how this occurred may help fishery managers, scientists, and the industry understand and resolve apparent conflicts between assessment results and the experiences of the fishing industry. When the dominant prey species of Atlantic cod changed from...
By Richard Gaines, Gloucester Daily Times, Mass. Jun. 23--First of 3 parts Fifteen years after Congress and the first President Bush established an ocean sanctuary just over the horizon from Gloucester, a struggle over Stellwagen Bank has begun. It pits the agency charged with protecting the sanctuary against many of the interests from which it is being protected -- notably commercial fishermen. It also raises difficult questions about the meaning of the word "sanctuary" when applied to...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.