Latest A. V. Apkarian Stories
[ Watch the Video: Pain in the Brain with Dr. Vania Apkarian ] Brett Smith for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online By using brain scans on chronic pain sufferers, neuroscientists based in Chicago have discovered a connection between the brain and experiencing chronic pain, according to a report in the journal Pain. "We may have found an anatomical marker for chronic pain in the brain," said study author Vania Apkarian, a professor of physiology at Northwestern University Feinberg...
A method of analyzing brain structure using advanced computer algorithms accurately predicted 76 percent of the time whether a patient had lower back pain in a new study by researchers from the Stanford University School of Medicine. The study, which will be published online Dec. 17 in Cerebral Cortex, reported that using these algorithms to read brain scans may be an early step toward providing an objective method for diagnosing chronic pain. "People have been looking for an objective...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.