Acanthophoenix rubra Reference Libraries
The Barbel Palm (Acanthophoenix rubra) is a critically endangered species of palm native to Mauritius, Rodrigues, and La Reunion. It is also known as the Red Barbel Palm or Yellow Barbel Palm, Red Palm, Mascarene Islands Cabbage Palm and a variety of other names (French). It was first described as Areca rubra by French naturalist Jean Baptiste Bory de Saint-Vincent in 1804. It was put into its...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.