Latest AFP Stories
A new WWF report released Thursday finds that pollution in Asia's Mekong River is putting dolphins in Laos and Cambodia at risk of extinction. But the report has sparked angry denials from governments who question the validity of the findings. Just 64 to 76 Irrawaddy dolphins remain in the Mekong River after dangerous levels of mercury, pesticides and other environmental contaminants were found in more than 50 calves that have died since 2003, the report said. The Mekong River flows...
By Andrea Stone An editor who transmitted an apparently doctored photo of an Iranian missile test published around the world said Thursday the gaffe shows that news organizations must be careful about using government handouts. "It's a debate we have to have," said Patrick Baz, Middle East photo editor in Cyprus for AFP, a French news agency that distributed the photo. "Technology is going so fast, it's 'Who can you trust?'" The original photo of three missiles lifting off apparently...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.