Latest Africa Progress Panel Stories
By Kate Kelland LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Tony Blair said on Monday that the Group of Eight had failed to make progress on some of the commitments it made at a summit last year to tackle global poverty. Writing in the Independent newspaper, Blair said the problems of poverty and climate change could not be solved "overnight," but urged more action, particularly on trade. "These are long-term problems and the solutions will be long-term too," he wrote in a joint...
By Astrid Zweynert LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Tony Blair has enlisted rock star Bob Geldof and U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan to help keep track of how wealthy countries live up to their aid commitments to Africa. Keeping track of pledges by countries known as the Group of Eight is a "full-time job" and while some pledges are on track, more needs to be done, Blair will say in a speech on Monday in London. Blair is setting up an independent Africa Panel, to be...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.