Latest Ala Wai Canal Stories
By Venzon, Nel C Jr The world-famous Waikiki Beach, situated along Oahu's picturesque south shore, may be in jeopardy. Considered the heart of Hawaii's tourism industry, Waikiki and its surrounding environs host about 72,000 visitors per day, amounting to an estimated $3.6 billion total gross state product in 2002 (Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism, 2003). Recent events affecting area waters, however, may have seriously compromised Waikiki's future economic...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.