Latest Alan Gross Stories
NEW YORK, Nov. 8, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- The general membership of the Medical Advertising Hall of Fame voted to induct three individuals at their Annual Awards Dinner to be held February 8, 2011 at the Pierre Hotel in New York. This year marks the induction of one of the first woman partners in a major medical agency, Jane Townsend, and - with the induction of her husband Alan Gross - the first time that a husband and wife are being inducted at that same time. The 2011 inductees into the...
By Little, Joseph This article examines the role of the liquid drop analogy in George Gamow's theory of nuclear structure and his subsequent derivation of nuclear energy. It argues that the correspondences constituting the analogy served distinct but cooperative ends, requiring Gamow to posit a relatively simple nuclear geometry that set him apart from his contemporaries, mostly shell theorists, and led to his successful derivation of nuclear energy in the fall of 1928. Analogy has long...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.