Latest Alex Thornton Stories
WASHINGTON -- Meerkats actively teach their young how to catch and eat their prey, British researchers said in a study that is one of the first to prove that animals show such complex behavior. While animals are known to learn from one another by watching, the team at Britain's University of Cambridge said they had demonstrated that the animals actually teach, as defined by clear principles. Older meerkats will bite the stinger off a live scorpion and give it to a youngster to kill and eat,...
WASHINGTON - It's hardly algebra or physics, but meerkats have been observed actively teaching their young, something not often seen in animals in the wild. While the young of many species learn by observing older members of their group, it's less common for adults to take direct actions with the only goal being teaching. Researchers from the University of Cambridge in England observed meerkats gradually introducing cubs to prey, showing them how to handle captured insects and even removing...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.