Latest Amblema plicata Stories
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida said it intends to sue the Army Corps of Engineers for violating the Endangered Species Act, a move which could further complicate strained regional relations over shared water resources. Florida Department of Environmental Protection Secretary Michael Sole said in a letter that the Corps' plans to reduce water flow in the Apalachicola River would jeopardize threatened and endangered wildlife. The seven-page letter, dated Thursday, notes concerns by...
The depressed river mussel or compressed river mussel, Pseudanodonta complanata, is a species of freshwater mussel, an aquatic bivalve mollusk belonging to the family Uniondae, the river mussels. The species name comes from the flattened shape of its shell. This species can be found throughout northern Europe, but it’s endangered throughout its range. While the survival of this species is considered to be threatened by pollution and the dredging of the slow moving channels of water in...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.