Latest Anne Yoder Stories
Alan McStravick for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online A recent animated movie franchise introduced children around the world over to an island just off the coast of Africa and its immense biodiversity. Perhaps unknown to those children and even their parents is the fact this diversity continues to increase thanks to the dedication of scientists who continually seek out new species. The mouse lemur, a saucer-eyed, teacup-sized primate is an example of diversity that can only be found...
New Haven, Conn.--Yale biologists have managed to extract and analyze DNA from giant, extinct lemurs, according to a Yale study published in a recent issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Radiocarbon dating of the bones and teeth from which the DNA was obtained reveal that each of the individuals analyzed died well over 1,000 years ago, according to the senior author, Anne Yoder, associate professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Living lemurs...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.