Latest Apache County, Arizona Stories
PETRIFIED FOREST NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. -- Imagine the Greek goddess Medusa was real, not a myth, and that she visited an Arizona forest in the prehistoric past, turning many of the trees to stone with her magical gaze. That fantasy land wouldn't be much different from what you actually see in northeastern Arizona today. Petrified Forest National Park, about 100 miles east of Flagstaff off I-40, is centered around what is believed to be the world's largest concentrations of petrified wood,...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.