Latest Ape extinction Stories
A recent study shows that, over the last two decades, areas with the greatest decrease in African great ape populations are those with no active protection from poaching by forest guards. Recent studies show that the populations of African great apes are rapidly decreasing. Many areas where apes occur are scarcely managed and weakly protected. Researchers from the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, have carried out an international collaborative project...
More than 125,000 western lowland gorillas were tallied in the northern part of the Republic of Congo, conservationists said Tuesday in New York. The U.S.-based Wildlife Conservation Society said researchers were thrilled to find so many of the endangered great apes in an area covering 18,000 square miles. Previous estimates in the 1980s suggested that were less than 100,000 western gorillas over all of central Africa. The WCS said successful long-term management of the Republic of...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.