Latest April 2009 in sports Stories
Steven Stamkos scored twice and Martin St. Louis added a goal Thursday, helping Canada crush the Czech Republic 5-1 at the World Hockey Championship. Canada's win came in one of four games that opened the second phase of the tournament and the Canadians were the only team to win in regulation time Thursday. Russia defeated Sweden in overtime 6-5, Belarus was a 3-2 overtime winner over Norway and Latvia stunned Switzerland 2-1 in a shootout. Canada leads Group E with nine points and, with two...
By Mike Collett LONDON (Reuters) - Former champions France, Sweden and Serbia & Montenegro sealed their places in next year's World Cup finals on a tense last night of European qualifying on Wednesday. There was also cause for celebration in Norway, Turkey, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Spain and Switzerland, the six teams who will be in next month's European playoffs. But there was little to cheer in Athens as Greece's hollow 1-0 win over Georgia could not prevent the European...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.