Latest Arbas Stories
PARIS -- Somewhere in the mountains and forests of the French Pyrenees, to sheep farmers' chagrin, a little bear far from home is getting used to new surroundings. Named "Palouma," which means "dove" in the local Occitan dialect, the bear was captured in Slovenia and released by French environmental officials Tuesday night, despite farmers' protests. She is the first of five being released to repopulate the bear population. Noisy demonstrations by 50 shepherds, dozens of local elected...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.