Latest Arran Seabed Trust Stories
Scotland's first fully protected marine reserve, and only the second in the UK, is already providing commercial and conservation benefits, according to new research. After only two years in operation, it is already showing positive signs for both fishermen and conservationists, according to a study by the University of York and the Community of Arran Seabed Trust (COAST). The research, published in the journal Marine Biology, shows that commercially valuable scallops and several species of...
By ALISON CHIESA ENVIRONMENT Secretary Richard Lochhead yesterday announced the go- ahead for the first community marine reserve, which will be at Lamlash Bay on the Isle of Arran. The reserve introduces a ban on fishing in the waters amid hopes that scallop beds in the area will be more productive as a result, benefiting local fishermen. Mr Lochhead said: "Our seas are special and we need to protect this precious resource while ensuring it continues to support the industries upon which...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.