Latest Arthur B. McDonald Stories
The behavior of some of the most elusive particles in the known universe can be simulated using three atoms in a lab, researchers at the Centre for Quantum Technologies (CQT) at the National University of Singapore have found. Principal Investigator Dimitris G. Angelakis and his group members Changsuk Noh and Blas Rodriguez-Lara have devised a scheme that uses the quantum states of three charged ions to simulate the 'oscillations' of neutrinos. The proposal is published in the March issue...
On Monday, scientists in Europe said they have solved the case of the missing neutrinos, one of the enduring mysteries in the subatomic universe of particle physics. The researchers said the findings challenge core precepts of the so-called Standard Model of physics, and could have major implications for our understanding of matter in the universe. Neutrinos are electrically neutral particles that travel close to the speed of light. Physicists had observed for years that fewer neutrinos...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.