The artificial heart, a mechanical heart replacement, is typically used in order to bridge the time to heart transplant or to replace the heart in case a transplant is impossible. Often ventricular assist devices are confused with mechanical hearts because the assist the heart through pumps. They are also different from a cardiopulmonary bypass machine which is an external device used to provide the function of the heart and lungs. CPBs are usually only used for a few hours at a time,...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.