Latest Assateague Channel Stories
Michael Harper for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online A newly developing story details yet another event that will be suspended due to the government shutdown, which is now heading into its second week. Every fall the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Department (CVFD) rounds up a herd of ponies living across the channel on Assateague Island. As a nationally registered wildlife refuge, however, Assateague Island is closed to the public, therefore putting a severe damper on the annual...
The Chincoteague Pony was developed on the Assateague Island of Virginia and Maryland, United States. Another name used for this pony is the Assateague horse, but due to its smaller size it is considered a pony. In 1947 a children’s book series written by Marguerite Henry, “Misty of Chincoteague”, made the breed famous. Over the years the breed has been introduced to other horse breeds and developed a variety of different characteristics. They live in poor conditions on the...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.