Verity Leatherdale, University of Sydney A new home-grown instrument based on bundles of optical fibers is giving Australian astronomers the first 'Google street view' of the cosmos — incredibly detailed views of huge numbers of galaxies....
Latest Australian Astronomical Observatory Stories
Lee Rannals for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online Scientists have completed the most challenging large astronomical mirror ever created. The mirror will be part of the 82-feet Giant Magellan Telescope, which will be exploring planets, and the formation of stars, galaxies and black holes in the early universe. The team has been working for the past several years on a 27.5-feet diameter mirror with an unusual, highly asymmetric shape. The "degree of difficulty" for the mirror is...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.