Balanus Reference Libraries
The White Acorn Barnacle (Balanus glandula), is one of the most common barnacle species on the Pacific coast of North America. It is widely distributed from the coast of Alaska to the border between California and the Mexican state of Baja California. They are commonly found in intertidal waters on mussels, rocks and pier pilings. It is moderately sized with a length of 0.6 to 0.8 inches....
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.