Latest Barisan Mountains Stories
JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Coffee beans exported to the West are being illegally grown inside an Indonesian national park, threatening the habitat of endangered tigers, elephants and rhinos, the WWF said Wednesday. Around 19,600 tons of coffee from the Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park on Sumatra Island are mixed with legally grown beans by local traders and exported each year, according to the global conservation organization. "If this trend of clearing park land for coffee isn't halted, the...
The Sumatran Striped Rabbit, Nesolagus netscheri, also known as the Sumatra Short-eared Rabbit or Sumatran Rabbit, is a rabbit found only in forest in the Barisan Mountains in western Sumatra, Indonesia. It is listed as a critically endangered species. Its rarity may be due to deforestation and habitat loss. This species is about 16 inches long. It is gray with brown stripes, with a red tail and rump, and the underside is white. It lives in forests at altitudes of 1950-4600 feet. It is...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.